FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Special Processes Operator I is responsible for prepping, loading, and unloading product to assure operating procedures of prescribed Heat Treat equipment to specification to achieve FN America’s quality and production goal requirements. The Special Processes Operator I also completes non-destructive testing and magnetic particle testing.
- Ensures all documentation, such as routers, Operator Controlled Variables (OSVs), material matrices, certifications, etc. are completed as required.
- Interprets Operation Control Sheets (OCSs)/Operations Standards (OS) instructions and process sheets.
- Operates and has working knowledge of process controllers, heat treat furnaces, induction heating units, temper furnaces, deep freezers, deburring, blast, vibratory deburring, atmosphere and temperature control instruments, and the nitrogen/methanol bulk storage and delivery systems.
- Masks parts using chemical compounds prior to heat treat.
- Operates vibratory finishing equipment.
- Inspects parts and assemblies before and after Heat Treating for conformance with hardness and documented requirements.
- Prepares Heat Treat certification documents.
- Sets up and maintains equipment.
- Performs various heat-treating processes such as carburizing, carbonitriding, gas nitriding, neutral hardening, annealing, normalizing, stress relieving tempering, cryogenics, and induction heating.
- Informs supervisor of work in process as requested. Keeps supervisor informed and updated as to any issues which may arise in the department.
- Conducts specific magnetic particle inspections per OCS or for which training has been received.
- Starts magnetic particle test equipment to perform system verification tests and document results with approved work instructions.
- Conducts system performance checks and ensures necessary preparation of parts before or after inspection with approved work instructions.
- Ensures all gages and system verification equipment are returned to Metrology in a timely manner.
- Evaluates indications for acceptance or rejections based on product knowledge and previous experience and documented requirements. Follows the non-conforming material process with questionable products.
- Conducts special magnetic particle inspections with approval of a level II Magnetic Particle technician.
- Performs duties of other entry level roles as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
Heat Treat experience preferred.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Knowledge of induction heat treating in order to set up units per written instructions and verify through hardness tests.
- Knowledge of quenching media and a basic understanding of metals and how they respond to thermal treatment
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure
- Blueprint reading
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Windows basics
- Basic understanding of the principles of 5S and Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Familiarity with ISO, AS 9100 and National Aerospace and Defense Contractors Accreditation Program
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Must complete six modules of basic heat treating from MTI Academy or equivalent.
- Certified Level I according to National Aerospace 410 Guidelines within a reasonable timeframe.
- Vapor degreaser certification
- Vacuum & Induction
- Crane & Lock-Out Tag-Out certification
May be exposed to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, dangerous equipment, or toxic chemicals when on the plant floor. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme heat and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.