The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption (DTFA) is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated to finding permanent homes for the more than 140,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
With guidance from the director, marketing and communications, the senior manager, child welfare marketing will help advance the Foundation’s strategic goals through internal and external collaboration. The senior manager, child welfare marketing will be a strong writer who creates messaging and materials that inform and engage various audiences within the child welfare community.
The Dave Thomas Foundation offers a hybrid work environment with employees required to be in office three days per week. Remote employment may be considered for out-of-state candidates willing to travel onsite as required.
- Lead the implementation of a marketing and communications plan designed to enhance reach, awareness and support among child welfare professionals for the importance of finding a permanent family for ALL children lingering in foster care and the belief that every child is adoptable.
- Develop content that highlights child welfare best practices and recognizes the importance of the Foundation’s evidence-based, child-focused recruitment model — shared through emails, blogs, video storytelling, social media, earned media, paid media and partner channels.
- Review communication materials and collaborate with various departments to support the continued expansion of the Foundation’s Wendy’s Wonderful Kids® program as well as innovative grantmaking that targets specialized foster care and adoption communities, post-adoption support and critical child welfare awareness, research and policy enhancements.
- Develop messaging and materials to engage child welfare professionals, speakers and sponsors attending the annual Wendy’s Wonderful Kids Summit.
- Lead the Foundation’s promotion of National Adoption Day, a collaborative effort to raise awareness of the more than 113,000 children waiting to be adopted from foster care in the U.S.
- Write, edit and proofread content in alignment with the Foundation’s brand standards and AP style.
- Perform other duties, as requested.
- Assume responsibility for professional growth and development, keeping current with child welfare policies as well as marketing trends and techniques.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to serve in this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the development and execution of marketing strategies, leveraging print, digital, social, web and video content, to advance an organization’s mission and/or programmatic goals
- Proven ability to develop and edit presentations for in-person and virtual events, in partnership with content specialists and designers
- Demonstrated strategic acumen with the ability to think creatively and analytically to drive results and achieve organizational objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage multiple projects, on time and budget
- Proficient use of project management systems that aid internal communications and planning
- Values diversity and supports an inclusive culture through the ability to successfully communicate with and influence a diverse group of audiences
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field
- 7+ years of experience executing marketing and communications strategies
- Knowledge of child welfare systems with an emphasis on foster care and adoption
- Experience working in a cause marketing role or in a national nonprofit organization is preferred
- Limited travel required
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, religion, religious beliefs, political affiliation, creed, HIV/AIDS status, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, veteran/military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or any other category protected by applicable law. Any employee who engages in such conduct is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.