The Sous Chef is responsible for all aspects of back of house operations of the Blue Bird Bistro kitchen including hiring, managing, and training cooks and stewards, produces timely staff schedules and manages labor and food costs to budget, ordering, inventory, efficient and safe preparation of food, adherence to all food handling and safety protocols, timely ticket times and presentation. The Sous Chef will assist the Executive Chef in menu development and assist in other Granby Ranch food and beverage outlets and operations as needed. Shoulder season work includes deep cleaning in all F&B areas, organization of dry storage, menu development and contributes to overall planning and direction of restaurant operations for Granby Ranch.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plans and directs all food preparation for kitchen operations, daily.
- Provides leadership and direction to kitchen staff giving positive feedback and constructive criticism as necessary in a professional manner.
- Develops weekly schedules, approves time cards, manages labor within budget.
- Maintains and ensures quality control for food preparation and presentation daily.
- Assists with ordering of all products for kitchen.
- Assists Executive Chef in menu development.
- Directs set up, execution, and tear down of outdoor food stations.
- Adheres to all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for food quality, safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times.
- Always maintains a clean and professional appearance.
- Handles kitchen operations for weddings and special events, executes wedding and special event tastings, including, but not limited to, ordering, planning, and preparation.
- Oversees daily back of the house operations for all Granby Ranch food and beverage outlets and assists with menu development.
- Trains new kitchen team members and maintains ongoing training for all kitchen team members.
- Follows all guidelines for codes of conduct in Granby Ranch Employee handbook and Food and Beverage Department Manual.
- Completes monthly inventory accurately and on time.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as a positive, professional role model, adhering to the company’s hospitality standards.
- Maintain an exceptional level of guest service in all interaction with guests, fellow employees, and management.
- Assist and support other departments for events and operations on high volume days.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Talking to others to convey information effectively
- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions
- Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speak, read, write in English fluently.
- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in a culinary field preferred
- ServSafe Food Management Certification
- 3 years’ experience in a sous chef role in a full-service resort
- Experience in banquet production for multiple events to include large banquets up to 300 people
- Experience working with budgets, ordering, inventory, H.R and managing P&L reports.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to lift up to 60lbs.
- Dexterity for utilizing keyboard, handling knives and other kitchen equipment.
- Stand and walk for duration of 8+ hour shift.
- Reaching, Bending, Sitting, Standing, Carrying, Lifting.
- Verbal and auditory abilities necessary for communication with others.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.