For over 38 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
We are offering a sign-on bonus of $1,000 for this position!
The Compliance Specialist manages the day to day oversight of compliance for a portfolio of Bellwether buildings, collaborating with other Bellwether staff to ensure efficient, timely, and accurate compliance with regulatory requirements; supports Compliance and Property Management staff by providing direction and oversight of the recertification process, initial household eligibility determination, and move-in file review, in accordance with funder compliance and Bellwether policy; reviews household applications to determine eligibility for housing in accordance to funder regulatory agreements; assists with annual and ongoing reporting to public funders (city, state, and federal) and investors; develops and refines policies and procedures for Bellwether compliance; interprets regulatory agreements; and interfaces with funding agencies.
• Manage a portfolio of Bellwether buildings for day to day compliance oversight, ensuring buildings are operated in compliance with funder requirements.
• 5 years’ prior affordable housing occupancy compliance experience that demonstrates knowledge of initial and annual certification process, including calculating household income for eligibility.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Proficient in compliance activities required by Section 42 Tax Credits, HOME, HUD and public funding, with the following certifications: Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS), Spectrum Certified Credit Compliance Professional (C3P).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
• Excellent organizational skills, detailed oriented, and accurate.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and apply complex funder regulatory requirements, and departmental policies and procedures.
• Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times.
• Experience applying fair housing laws and local landlord/tenant laws.
• Customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to both internal and external customer requests. Positive attitude a must.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Dependable, self-motivated, and organized individual skilled at multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, and producing high quality work.
• Experience and/or training in compliance requirements of the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program and the programs of other public funders.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) Specialist in Housing Credit Management (SHCM) certification.
• Novogradac Property Compliance Certification (NPCC) & HCCP Certification.
• Experience and/or training in compliance requirements for HUD programs, including Section 8 and 811 PRAC.
• NCHM COS or equivalent.
• Spectrum C3P or equivalent.
• Completion of WSHFC Fundamentals and advanced training workshops.
• Experience working with AMSI (eSite) software or equivalent.
• Experience with WBARS compliance database.
• Experience with MS Access and Adobe Acrobat Pro software.
• Familiarity with Sound Families, HOPWA, and service enriched housing programs.
• Familiarity with Seattle Housing Authority Project Based and Tenant Based voucher programs.
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Compensation: $22.17 - $27.16 per hour, depending on experience.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer – we value the diversity of thought, education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience.