The Remote Sensing Technician utilizes advanced technologies to perform data collection and processing tasks in order to support Geomatics projects. This position will have field as well as office responsibilities related to photogrammetry, LiDAR, UAS/drone, 3D laser scanning, hydrographic survey as well as ground-based survey principles such as GNSS and total station survey.
We are looking for Remote Sensing Technician's to join our team in our Cary, NC office.
WHY WR? WithersRavenel is looking for people who are passionate about collaboration, community, and client success. Your reward for sharing your talent with us? OWNERSHIP. As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is an owner—which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture and purposeful work.
Our employee owners say they love a lot of things about WithersRavenel, but the things most often cited are our amazing people and team-first atmosphere, our focus on their professional development and growth, and our commitment to the communities in which we work and live.
Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as field technician for operating GNSS, drones, and other data collection equipment for topographic survey and photogrammetry projects.
- Acts as an office technician for processing data on LiDAR and photogrammetry projects.
- Take direction from the Group Director as well as Geomatics Project Managers for daily tasking, project planning, flight planning, and FAA airspace planning to ensure projects are successful.
- Gathers field survey data through use of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and Remote Sensing methods.
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates surveying equipment, including terrestrial and aerial LiDAR, data collectors, and GNSS equipment unmanned aerial systems (UAS).
- Prepares field notes and drawings.
- Performs field surveying in project areas with varying site conditions, vegetation conditions, and weather conditions.
- Ensures that the batteries for all field equipment are recharged each day and that the geomatics vehicle(s) utilized in the group are adequately supplied and cleaned each day.
- Proficient in Geomatics technologies: GNSS, LiDAR, GIS, Photogrammetry
- Experience with data management
- Ability to follow safety practices
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Geomatics staff, engineers, developers, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, collect data, operate and maintain complex precision surveying instruments.
- FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot and NCDOT Aviation Permit (or the ability to obtain permit within an agreed timeframe)
The work is performed outdoors in such areas as landfills, construction sites, in swamps, residential neighborhoods, roadway work zones and wooded areas.
To perform the essential functions of the job, incumbents may be required to perform moderately strenuous tasks, such as including lifting and carrying instruments weighing up to 50 pounds over rough terrain. Incumbents may also be required to clear vegetation, dig holes, and drive stakes with hand tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.