Job Title: Development Services Specialist
Reports To: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Sacramento SPCA is a vibrant, well-established and respected non-profit animal welfare organization. Through our nationally-ranked high-volume spay and neuter clinic (we are ranked as one of the top 10 clinics in the country!), successful adoption program, behavior and training programs and more, the Sacramento SPCA is giving more than shelter and saving animals one life at a time.
This position has primary responsibility for ongoing reception, processing and input of gifts information, in a timely, highly accurate manner that follows organization accounting requirements and maintains the integrity of the donor database. Performs a variety of skilled administrative and clerical duties directly related to development activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Receives and processes, on a daily basis, all incoming donations: cash, checks, credit card charges, electronic fund transfers, etc., from a variety of sources including mail, Sacramento SPCA’s online giving platform, and special events.
- Prepares coding input for direct mail and online giving campaigns.
- Sorts and prepares all incoming donations, appropriately coding each to identify source or campaign.
- Uploads all online donations and donor info from online giving platform into Raiser’s Edge database.
- Frequently interfaces with and provides necessary documentation to Sacramento SPCA Accounting staff for gift accounting, deposit and data reconciliation.
- Responds to donor inquiries through correspondence, telephone contact, mail and email in a timely fashion.
- Performs ongoing maintenance in the database; updating donor records, removing duplicates, updating account codes, donation changes, etc.
- Assists and participates in Sacramento SPCA informational and special events.
- Opens and distributes daily administrative mail.
- Develops effective working relationships with donors, volunteers and others to nurture their connection to our organization.
- Maintains a high level of communication with the Director of Development and assists in all administrative activities as needed.
- Participates in regular office duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be accurate and highly detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize competing priorities in a complex and fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge highly preferred.
- Strong mathematical and bookkeeping skills highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of online fundraising platforms highly preferred.
- Skilled in using a variety of computer software programs, including Microsoft Office applications, and using and maintaining electronic files.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Two years of college course work in, business, management or equivalent experience and skill level.
- Two years of previous clerical and bookkeeping experience in an office environment.
- Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment may be a disqualification.
- Must sit, stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently to perform duties. Have the ability to perform some strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 40 pounds alone for short distances.
- Due to the importance of the interface with donors, members and department staff, regular departmental working hours and days are required. Exceptions require Director approval.
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- By nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to exposure to parasites and to infectious diseases.