The Associate Principal Librarian will work with the Principal Librarian to provide for the day-to-day functioning of the Library, and must be able to work in a leadership role when necessary. The Associate Principal Librarian will work closely with Artistic Leadership, musicians, staff, guest conductors, guest artists, and Arts Partners.
The Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestra (CSO/CPO) librarians also provide Library services for Cincinnati May Festival, Cincinnati Opera, and Cincinnati Ballet. Work hours will occur primarily on weekdays between 9AM and 5PM, but some flexibility is required for evening and weekend work hours for rehearsal and concert duty rotation. Occasional travel to venues, both downtown (such as the Aronoff Center for the Arts) and around the Cincinnati area (such as Riverbend) is required.
- Shared with Library colleagues, prepare music for all CSO, CPO, and May Festival rehearsals and performances. General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Editing, proofing, and errata;
o Adding measure numbers or rehearsal figures;
o Marking cuts or preparing inserts;
o Transferring bowings between principal string parts and bowing scores;
o Preparing and breaking down orchestra folders;
o Fixing page turns, photocopying, and scanning;
o File management.
- Shared with Library colleagues, prepare Cincinnati Opera music, including: coordinate with Opera staff and guest conductors; confirm editions; check PVs against full scores; mark cuts and inserts; work with banda parts; and create excerpts for the annual Gala concert.
- Shared with Library colleagues, prepare Cincinnati Ballet music, including: coordinate with Ballet staff and guest conductors; mark and check extensive cuts and inserts; and advise on new editions as needed.
- Oversee and advise on synch licensing in collaboration with the Digital department.
- Shared with Library colleagues, recurring duties include, but are not limited to:
o Prepare instrumentation sheets;
o Check and catalogue new sets, including updating OPAS records;
o Update OPAS performance history and instrumentation records from all performances;
o Maintain the CSO music collection and catalogue, as well as the CSO/CPO performance database in OPAS;
o Recommend deaccessioning options as needed.
- Perform concert and rehearsal duties as directed by the Principal Librarian.
- Work with the Principal Librarian in managing the schedule and work of the Assistant Librarian, bow markers, and volunteers.
- Manage complete projects as directed by the Principal Librarian, including preparation for specific CSO/CPO, Education, Opera, Ballet, or May Festival concerts, as well as budgeting, recording, and streaming projects. This can include procuring music, executing rental agreements, and all music preparation for the orchestra, choruses, and soloists.
- Facilitate respectful relationships within the Library and among orchestra members, conductors, staff, music publishers, rental agencies, and MOLA colleagues.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times, especially with respect to artistic planning.
- Work flexible and late hours and travel with the orchestra, including airline travel and tours, as designated by the Principal Librarian.
- Support organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives as well as supporting a respectful organizational culture
- Other job duties as assigned.