Department: Business Office
Reports to: Controller
BB&N is seeking an Accounting Manager to join our 6 person Business Office team. In this role, you will oversee and process payroll, all payroll-related reporting and filings, TIAA and other deductions, and HRIS payroll interactions within Paylocity. In order to ensure that our payroll is completed accurately and on time, you must track and verify bi-weekly payouts. In addition, this position will support the Controller on general ledger reconciliations, the monthly close, and financial reporting. The Accounting Manager will work closely and collaborate with members of the Operations Leadership team as well as other school leaders.
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll and prepare payroll journal entries
- Review bi-weekly TIAA contributions
- Assist with monthly/quarterly close
- Prepare monthly general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist with year-end audit
- Prepare annual tax returns
- Assist with budget tracking and projections
- Assist with transactions and activities related to the school’s investment portfolio
- Assist with special projects
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting with at least 5+ years of experience working in school business operations as well as fund and non-profit accounting experience.
Other competencies include:
- Strategic thinking
- Excellent communicator, able to work cross-functionally on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with multi-tasking capabilities.
- Experience with or knowledge of Veracross or similar school-based accounting software and Paylocity, the school’s payroll provider
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Ability to inspire people, teams, and programs
- Demonstrated commitment to not only work in a team within the Business Office but also willing to participate in Operations Team and BB&N school-wide community building events.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required
Essential Functions and Key Objectives:
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing and accounting systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll accounting software, systems, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on commensurate experience.
Compensation for full-time employees includes a 403(b) plan with up to a 10% match of salary and other competitive benefits offerings. Benefits offered to eligible employees include health & dental insurance; commuter benefits; long-term disability insurance, and more.
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages, and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.