Location of Position: Marin Headlands, Sausalito, California
Reports to: Retail Manager
Position Classification / Expected Time commitment and work schedule: This is a full-time hourly position. Work hours are generally Wednesday through Sunday, 9:00am to 5:30pm, with some seasonal variability. Evening and holiday work may be required as job duties demand. Some travel within California is expected for this position.
Compensation Range: $26.00/hr - $30.00/hr
· Sick Time
· Medical, Dental, and Vision
· Life Insurance
· 401k Retirement Plan
· The Marine Mammal Center offers benefits to support the emotional wellbeing of you and your loved ones (Employee Assistance Program
The Retail Coordinator leads front-of-house retail operations, eCommerce fulfillment, and retail inventory management for The Marine Mammal Center’s Sausalito Hospital and Visitor Center. Working closely with the Conservation Engagement team, the Retail Coordinator coaches volunteers, ensures smooth front-of-house operations, and engages with visitors about the Center’s ocean conservation work. The Retail Coordinator leads eCommerce fulfillment, ensuring adherence to fulfillment timelines and excellent customer support. With direction from the Retail Manager, the Retail Coordinator assists with the upkeep of online product pages and photos. The Retail Coordinator is responsible for processing incoming merchandise and distributing stock between the sales floor, online store, and storage.
Retail Operations: 75%
- Work closely with the Conservation Engagement team to ensure smooth daily operations and exceptional visitor engagement.
- Maintain visually compelling retail displays that connect customers with the Center’s mission and maximize revenue per square foot.
- Assist in the development of strategies that boost visitation, engagement, and revenue.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe environment on the sales floor and storage areas.
- Receive and process incoming merchandise. Based on seasonal sales trends, distribute merchandise between the sales floor and online store, ensuring accuracy of inventory records.
- Greet visitors and engage them in the Center’s work and mission.
- Process transactions, returns, and exchanges, resolving issues effectively and efficiently.
- Work with the Retail Manager to develop and maintain standard operating procedures and ensure open lines of communication with staff and volunteers.
- Fulfill online orders and respond to customer inquiries.
- In partnership with the Retail Manager, maintain online store webpages, ensuring that photos and information are accurate, relevant, and accessible.
- Monitor supplies stock and communicate needs to the Retail Manager.
Volunteer Engagement: 15%
- Connect with Education Volunteers and ensure a fulfilling and enriching volunteer experience.
- Coach Education Volunteers on store processes and customer engagement.
- In partnership with the Education Volunteer Coordinator, identify and resolve issues related to volunteers.
- In partnership with the Retail Manager, train and supervise eCommerce volunteers.
Finance & Reporting: 5%
- Complete daily cash drawer reconciliations and visitor tracking reports.
- Complete weekly bank deposits.
- Lead annual physical inventory in partnership with the Retail Manager.
Other Duties as Assigned: 5%
- Perform special projects and research as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
3-4 – Education Volunteers per shift
6 – Retail eCommerce Volunteers
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with eCommerce operations; experience using Shopify a plus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (in particular: Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and solve problems efficiently and effectively, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain adaptability, empathy, and optimism under pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and maintain open communication in a team environment.
- Passion for marine and environmental conservation.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, which includes volunteers, interns, staff, and others.
- Energy and enthusiasm for working with, ability to communicate and interact effectively with, and practice of self-awareness and respect while engaging with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to support and participate in The Marine Mammal Center’s diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.
Qualifications and Experience
- This position requires at least 1 year of experience in customer service, preferably in a retail role with inventory management responsibilities.
- Valid driver’s license and favorable driving history, and proof of auto insurance.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or waiver (medical or religious)
Work Environment & Physical Requirements
- This position operates in a professional office, laboratory, and hospital environment both indoors and outdoors with access to other parts of the facilities via outdoor pathways.
- Some work involves storage areas and semi-outdoor public areas that can be crowded and noisy.
- Some work involves outdoor weather conditions and elements.
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, and filing cabinets.
- Ability to work at a desk for extended periods of time using a computer.
- Exposure to allergens and zoonotic diseases.
- Involves smells associated with animals and the care of animals.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to spend extended periods on your feet, walking, and climbing stairs (potentially in inclement weather conditions).
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The Marine Mammal Center actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to the communities we serve. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive, equitable and supportive work environment. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. The Marine Mammal Center believes in growth and supporting our employees as best we can so they can become their best selves in and outside of work. We believe that a healthy work environment means building an inclusive culture where people can thrive together and feel supported and empowered. We believe in stretch versus constraint.
The Marine Mammal Center advances global conservation through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education.
ABOUT THE MARINE MAMMAL CENTER
The Marine Mammal Center is leading the field in ocean conservation through marine mammal rescue, veterinary medicine, science, and education.
For more information, please visit our “About Us” page at www.marinemammalcenter.org
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume and provide a brief description about how your experience aligns with the role.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. The Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.