We are committed to supporting at risk children and families providing them with tools and resources to help prevent children from experiencing child abuse, neglect and abandonment. We are a Christian agency that believes in living our mission, we provide Christ-centered care and support to children and families in need.
In response to this community-wide challenge, Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services (PCHAS), provides 14 programs and services in 28 locations, in Missouri, Texas, and Louisiana, which provide children with permanent homes and adults with increased self-sufficiency. This is accomplished by the agency’s commitment to “The PCHAS Way” which inspires the agency to be strength-focused, family-centered, and goal driven with every client.
Benefits of serving children and families in need through PCHAS include competitive salaries, flex work schedules, paid time off, medical, dental and vision insurance options, voluntary life insurance options, paid holidays, and a very generous retirement plan (after one year of service and working 1,000 hours the agency matches an employee 200% up to a 3% retirement contribution).
Working Conditions: Works in a learning center setting and/or within a residence for children in placement with close contact with children. Uses office equipment including computers. May sit for extended periods of time. Work schedule may include time in the evenings.
Position Summary: The tutor will provide individual or in some cases small group instruction to students in an after-school tutoring program at the Presbyterian Children’s Home’s and Services campus in Itasca.
Essential Job Functions
- The tutor will assist with study skills strategies, remedial instruction, and/or assist with homework assignments at the discretion of the LC Coordinator, and/or as time permits. Tutors will keep these as the primary focus of activities for tutoring.
- The tutor will meet promptly and regularly according to the specific time commitment set with the learner utilizing the use of materials provided and/or contact their supervisor for any additional materials needed.
- The tutor will communicate regularly with the supervisor or designee regarding the student’s progress and complete any requested paperwork promptly.
- The instruction provided by the tutor will demonstrate good use of time management, be student centered and participatory.
- The tutor will have high expectations and standards for the learner.
- The tutor will provide frequent praise and positive reinforcement to show appreciation for the learner’s efforts and achievements according to TBRI components.
Education and Experience: Two years of post-secondary education. Experience working with children.
Licenses and Certifications: Prefer certification in teaching field.
Requirements: Must be computer literate and familiar with spreadsheets and word processing software. Must also be able to use general office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax, calculator and agency email system. Must have strong interpersonal skills to work with staff throughout agency. Knowledge of reading, writing skills, mathematics, and science. Ability to share knowledge with children and show patience.
Must hold a valid driver’s license, have and maintain a risk-free driving record. Must be willing to undergo initial and periodic child abuse/neglect, criminal history, sexual offender, and child care/elder care disqualification list screenings. As requested, must submit fingerprints for review by the state of your employment and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Must undergo a pre-employment drug screen and a pre-employment physical with the results showing no evidence of communicable disease.
Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services is a faith-based Christian organization. We provide Christ-centered care and support to children and families in need. We strive to serve like Jesus. We meet our clients where they are and treat them with respect. We focus on our clients’ strengths rather than their problems. And we encourage our clients to focus on their future rather than their past. When we do this well, we help our clients find hope and know the love of God.