Position Summary Description
The Senior Product Manager is a leader in solving the real-world challenges Nielsen-Kellerman (NK) customers face. Reporting to the Director of Product Management, the Senior Product Manager will focus on driving new product development from concept to production/sustainment, through coordination with multiple departments and key stakeholders at NK, including but not limited to R&D, Marketing, Finance, Materials, Manufacturing, etc.
The successful candidate will be able to shift focus as product development needs change, while clearly communicating the product development roadmap and timeline/deadline expectations. Clear communication of researched market data, growth and cost analysis, expectations from external parties, potential gaps, and roadblocks, etc., are all critical competencies of the Senior Product Manager.
NK is a rapidly growing company, and the candidate that will make the most impact in this role must be able to prioritize competing tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Our products are counted on to save lives, go faster and shoot further. We are committed to US manufacturing and US ingenuity. As a successful 40+ year old company, we offer a casual work environment and job security with excellent benefits. This is at-will employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the creation of new and unique products that solve real problems for NK’s customers throughout the entire new product development lifecycle, communicating the various technical and operational factors that define the product architecture and overall product vision.
- Interact with all teams at NK, including but not limited to R&D, Marketing, Manufacturing, Materials, Finance, etc., providing leadership and communicating clear expectations of timelines and deadlines.
- Evaluate and map out the various tasks required to successfully support the product development cycle and be prepared to help drive thoughtful and informed decisions for the product and company through input from departmental peers and stakeholders.
- Execute a variety of tasks to ensure the product timeline stays on track. Be prepared to step in to fill gaps that may otherwise compromise the roadmap.
- Communicate strategy and vision to stakeholders and manage expectations. Ensure all risks are noted and addressed with adequate time and resources to help keep the project on track.
- Ensure new products are in alignment with overall new product strategy for continued company growth.
Personal Qualities for Success
- Motivated by a desire to create new and innovative products for a company with an aggressive growth strategy.
- Comfortable with working and communication with subject matter experts.
- Can successfully lead others with a passion to develop solutions for NK customers.
- The ability to manage regular change, ambiguity, and complexity, in a detailed, organized way.
- Develop new product with the needs of the customer and goals of NK in mind.
- You have an entrepreneurial attitude with the ability to empower and lead individuals and groups. Have the ability to get things done in an ever-changing market, can work well under periods of stress, are flexible and have interest in working in a demanding field for an innovative and driven company.
Qualifications and Experience - The desired candidate will have an employment background in engineering with either experience or interest in product management.
- 5+ years in hardware or integrated product development experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Can work well with internal and external stakeholders, across a wide range of technical areas.
- Comfortable working with data and complex analyses.
- Experience with prototyping and other creative ways to gather direct feedback early in the product development process.
- Degree in engineering or hard science.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language.
- Ability to read/understand electronic schematics.
- Ability to read/understand electronics datasheets.
- Experience in a material production environment.
This position will require coordination and leadership with a variety of roles related to sustainment and new product development, as well as mentoring and guidance of more junior coworkers.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Climate-controlled indoor office with attached manufacturing facility. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Dogs in office.
Work Location, Hours & Travel
40-hour, M-F work week, with hybrid in-office and work from home flexibility. Up to 10% business travel.
Most training is on-the-job but formal education and training may be provided where appropriate.
This is a salaried position. Pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience as well as company size. Annual bonus based on company and individual performance ranges averages 3% to 5% of compensation.
- Fully paid employee benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Voluntary benefits include family medical (with company subsidy), life insurance, critical care insurance, FSA dependent care and pet insurance.
- HSA with generous employer contribution offered with HDHP.
- Vanguard 401k with employer match to 5% after 90 days
- 9 paid holidays, one floating holiday and flexible PTO
All benefits are subject to a benefit waiting period of 60 to 90 days.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship. Security clearance is not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NK is an equal opportunity employer. NK conducts all employment-related activities in full compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and without regard to an individual’s age, color, gender, disability, marital status, national origin, citizenship, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other legally protected category. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment including training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, and all other aspects of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Nielsen-Kellerman is the parent company for eight brands focused on helping people succeed in their profession or passion by providing mission-critical measurements, information, insight, and guidance whenever and wherever needed. Ambient Weather, Kestrel Weather, KestrelMet, RainWise, Kestrel Ballistics, MagnetoSpeed, Blue Ocean Megaphones and NK Sports are each recognized as the preeminent products for their applications from meteorology to military, firefighting to farming and rowing to research. Our products ARE us - we design them, build them, sell them, and passionately stand behind them.
NK has been in business for over four decades and is still growing stronger. Working here offers excellent opportunities for personal and professional development as well as the fun and satisfaction of being part of a successful American business. NK is a Lean enterprise committed to American manufacturing and continuous improvement of our design, production, administrative and sales processes.
NK's home office is located in Boothwyn, PA, about 30 minutes southwest of Philadelphia and our Ambient Weather brand operates primarily from Chandler, AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. NK's work environment is informal and high-energy, and our employees' quality of life is important to us. NK is proud to have been named a Philly Top Workplace eight out of the last ten years.