Position: Apprenticeship Program Specialist
Salary Range: $54,000 – 60,000
Business Unit: Research, Policy, & Innovation
Department: Research, Policy, & Innovation
Reports To: Apprenticeship Program Director
Posted: November 4 - 18, 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA
This is a grant-funded position, connected to a grant expected to end on or about December 2021. There is also a possibility of an extension beyond December 2021. This position is responsible for promoting, supporting, and advancing Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs and initiatives in the Southeast Pennsylvania region, including Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties. This position will conduct outreach to employers and partners around apprenticeships and provide technical assistance and support in the development and operation of Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs. This position will also provide assistance with scheduling and conducting meetings and events, quarterly reporting, and support the completion of contracts, requests for proposals, and invoices through the organization’s internal financial systems. This position may represent the Apprenticeship Program Director and Philadelphia Works at meetings and events and requires a dedication to earn and learn workforce models in general and apprenticeships in particular.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
1. With the Apprenticeship Program Director and apprenticeship partners, further the efforts for building visibility, sharing best practices, and addressing challenges around the apprenticeship model.
2. Provide technical assistance and support in the development and operation of Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs.
3. Conduct outreach to and engage employers in the benefits, costs, and aspects of Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs.
4. Conduct outreach to and engage educational institutions, training providers, youth-serving and community-based organizations, public agencies and officials, and other entities around Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs.
5. Foster connections with and among partners in developing new and expanding existing Registered Pre-Apprenticeship and Registered Apprenticeship programs and manage these partnerships.
6. Assist in the collection and entering of data into the federal USDOL apprenticeship data collection system. Coordinate with internal staff to access data residing in the state workforce system, CWDS. Assess data for quality and missing items. Retrieve any missing data or documentation.
7. Support in the collection, preparation, and submission of quarterly reports to US DOL and other public agencies.
8. Assist in the collection and dissemination of apprenticeship-related content and communications, including through e-newsletters, social media, email, and other media.
9. Coordinate and schedule small to large meetings, events, and other convenings with internal staff and external constituencies. Manage the logistics associated with meetings and events as well as developing and requesting topics, assembling materials, completing the agenda, taking minutes, and sending out follow-up communications. Maintain documentation of all meetings and events as specified.
10. Provide support in the contracting, invoicing, and request for proposal process. Learn the internal Contracts Management System to track progress of the bidding and contracting process.
11. Build rapport internally and identify where to incorporate apprenticeships in with other initiatives.
12. Maintain files, reports, and correspondence.
13. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. At least 2 years of relevant experience preferably in workforce development, employer engagement, and/or apprenticeships, internships, or other work-based learning programs.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Customer service oriented
• Knowledge of data entry and quality assurance practices
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Must be organized and detailed oriented
• Must be able to meet deadlines
• Must be able to work effectively with all staff, contracted providers, and management
• Experience or training in employer outreach or equivalent fields related to business development
• Ability to develop and deliver presentations
• Must possess at least intermediate level of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
• Willingness to learn policy and practices impacting apprenticeships
• Will possess the acumen to understand the specific industry sector in which the organization participates and how decisions may impact outcomes
• Work to become proficient in new software and data systems to support the project
• Must have high integrity in handling confidential and sensitive data
• Ability to effectively relate to people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds, government agencies, public officials, and all levels of management and staff
• Adherence to all guidelines for confidential and secure data
• Able to follow directions, work collaboratively, and advance work individually
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life and disability. We also offer company paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.