Position: Senior Manager Data Performance & Labor Market Information
Salary Range: $82,000 – 90,000
Business Unit: Research, Policy, & Innovation
Department: Research, Policy, & Innovation
Reports To: Chief Research Officer
Posted: November 4 - 18, 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA
The Manager Data Performance & LMI drives a forward-thinking data reporting strategy at Philadelphia Works in partnership with internal and external stakeholders. Leads the development of new analytics and provides expert interpretation of labor market information, survey data and federated data. Manages the team providing support for research, data and analytic projects in the Department and as support to flexible teams across the organization. This hands-on, team-oriented position supervises staff and does in-depth reporting from program data, builds databases combining government and program sources, creates ad hoc reports and write memos to answer research questions, provides analyses of data and data inputs for performance management, tracks and oversees the progress of pilot programs, automates data collection where possible and write reports. Other responsibilities include reporting and adding expert technical assistance in meetings and data visualization.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Ensure Performance and Labor Market Data Reporting support is aligned with the needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
2. Create resources to make information faster to understand, easier to use and more engaging.
3. Manage staff engaged in data management performance reporting and business intelligence using economic principles to guide staff in analyses.
4. Ensure effective use of labor market information by maintaining current labor market information for strategic planning, informing the delivery services, and making it available to internal and external audiences. Make data actionable for programs.
5. Compile and report PA CareerLink® performance metrics as needed
6. Support all internal teams with data and other information as needed pulling from multiple sources
7. Complete population, industry and occupational analyses in support of internal teams, Board Committees and external partners in analyzing the needs of special populations and industries.
8. Participate on evaluation research teams; gathering and analyzing program data and writing evaluation reports.
9. Represent the CRO in work with state staff and community-based organizations with workforce- related programming to support their work.
7. Track programs’ progress along a timeline of in relation to other benchmarks
8. Use inferential statistics and statistical software to fully analyze data along with piloting new validated appropriate measures]
9. Provide insight to staff on data collection methodologies and their strengths. Negotiate websites to capture data and other information in different formats
10. Ensure data bases are Built and maintained to the specifications desired from the stakeholders.
11. Build data systems from multiple sources and support the development of city federated data in a SQL environment.
12. Develop visualizations of concepts and dashboards.
13. Enthusiastically learn new software and data systems to support projects
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Economics, Statistics, Planning or Business Administration or a related field with 10 or more years of experience in data analysis, 5 years of experience managing staff, and 3 or more years external relations/customer service. Masters/PhD preferred.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Workforce Development background is strongly desired.
• Experience evaluating staff, meeting one-on-one, and supporting professional development
• Experience serving on high level teams and lead major across organizational projects
• Knowledge of research methodologies and basic inferential statistics
• Intermediate knowledge of SQL; Ability to create queries in a SQL environment across multiple tables
• Project management experience – able to lead a team through a formal process
• Proficient knowledge of SPSS, R or similar statistical software. [
• Intermediate skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, ACESS and Power Point
• Desired: Knowledge of SAP Business Intelligence environment
• Detail-oriented analysis of data for accuracy
• Expert data management and reporting from large datasets
• Team oriented – able to be a productive team member or lead as assigned.
• Customer service oriented - expert at technical assistance and responding to complex requests
• Able to explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
• Must be able to meet deadlines and multi-task across multiple projects.
• Ability to effectively relate to people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds, government agencies, public officials, and all levels of management and staff.
• Adhere to all guidelines for confidential and secure data
• Build leadership and delegate recurring projects to deliver on these timely Provide open door support to direct reports and staff across the organization.
• Self-starting and quick to identify areas where information might produce better program results
• Writing reports and memos as assigned
• Use of Tableau and/or GIS software is a plus
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life and disability. We also offer company paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.