As part of the Discovery team at Kula Bio, the Formulation Scientist will help by discovering, designing, and implementing new proprietary formulations to improve biofertilizer product stability and outcomes. As a leader in sustainable nitrogen solutions, Kula Bio is helping farmers improve crop yield and reduce environmental impact. In this role, you will create new recipes and source for sustainable materials as part of a highly collaborative and mission drive team, who together are driving the reach of sustainable agriculture.
On a regular day, you will develop identify, source, and develop innovative ingredients and biofertilizer delivery methods. You will develop growth and fermentation media, optimizing the media to create new and different bacteria strains. You will formulate and modify existing formulas to meet regulatory guidelines, cost parameters, and claims, as well as present technology transfer from pilot scale to manufacturing. In addition, you will collaborate to improve product attributes and maintain quality control, as well as evaluate established and new application techniques that support bacteria and plant growth.
To thrive in this role, you are naturally competitive and driven to find the right solution. You are experienced in microbial formulation, have performed experiments involving bacteria. You are self-motivated, carrying out plans and executing work in pursuit of that "eureka!" moment. You proactively identify areas for opportunity and drive results. You recognize the importance of flexibility and are capable of wearing multiple hats to get the job done as part of a dynamic start-up team. You are highly communicative, and ensure messages are shared and received across multi-functional teams.
- Master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, agriculture, or related field with at least 3 years of relevant industry experience, or PhD with one year of relevant industry experience
- Previous experience with physical and chemical laboratory testing techniques including particle size, dispersion, wetting, rheology, and biological testing
- Demonstrable knowledge of inert ingredients, physiochemical properties, application technology, and commercial fertilizers
- Proven skills in optimizing formulation and down streaming processing for qualities such as growth, bioactivity, physical properties, and shelf stability
- Applicable knowledge and experience with ingredient evaluation processes, new extraction processes development and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Experience using lyophilizer and chromotography equipment
- Flexible schedule allowing for occasional weekend and evening work as needed