Department: Student Support Services
Reports to: Director of After School and Auxiliary Faculty
BB&N is seeking After School Program Teachers for the 2023-2024 academic year. The After School Program Teachers are a team of teachers that works with school-age children (ages 4-13) on the Lower School campus and are responsible for the day-to-day activities in our After School Program. The teachers will work to implement age-appropriate activities and provide a caring environment where children are safe and secure.
Responsibilities also include:
- Working as a team member with other After School Teachers
- Reporting and working with the Lead Teacher
- Share in planning, implementing, and cleaning up activities
- Daily activities, including art projects, baking, and cooking, physical activities on the playground, reading, music, and games
- Maintain an orderly physical environment, which promotes the growth and development of children
- Help foster and facilitate play between children
- Develop and maintain a safe and supportive environment that responds to and supports the needs of each child
- Monitor schoolyard play to ensure safety
- Perform other duties as required
Hours for this position are 2:45 pm – 5:15 pm Mondays and Tuesdays, and 1:45 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays.
Skills and Competencies:
High School Diploma/GED required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. In addition, the After School Teacher will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Experience working with and nurturing children
- Good observation and communication skills with young children and adults
- Willing to be flexible to meet unanticipated needs
- Motivated to work as part of a team
- Ability to work in a collegial manner with people at all levels of the organization
- Confidential approach to the handling of privileged information
- Respect and use of appropriate information channels
- Problem resolution, willingness to find new solutions, and share ideas in a constructive way
- Ability to receive feedback
Salary: $25.00 per hour
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages, and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.