FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Surface Finish Operator I is responsible for prepping, loading, and unloading product to assure operating procedures are met in order to achieve FN America’s quality and production goal requirements.
- Interprets Operation Control Sheets (OCSs)/Operations Standards (OS) instructions and process sheets.
- Degreases parts and performs manual operations and machine operations to eliminate all oxides.
- Processes parts for degreasing, chrome plating, phosphating, oiling, and/or rinse tanks. If required, operates oven for hydrogen embrittlement relief. Inspects barrels for bore and rifling on air column gages.
- Monitors specified temperatures of baths.
- Replaces anodes and cathodes of chrome plating equipment to include monitoring tooling, racks, fixtures, etc. for repair or replacement.
- Checks plating process using sensitive instruments, including micrometers, calipers, and permascopes.
- Informs supervisor of work in process as requested. Keeps supervisor informed and updated as to any issues which may arise in the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
Previous experience in chrome plating, phosphate coating and air gaging is preferred.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Familiarity with ISO, AS 9100 and National Aerospace and Defense Contractors Accreditation Program
- Understanding and comprehension of routing structure, time, and flow
- Blueprint reading
- Knowledge of basic measurement and testing equipment
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with others at all levels of the organization
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure
May be exposed to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, dangerous equipment, or toxic chemicals when on the plant floor. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme heat and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor