This role has a May 2024 start date.
Would you love to use code to make sense of challenging research questions using large volumes of noisy sensor and weather data?? If so - this job is for you!
We seek an Early-Career Data Scientist to join our high-performing Data Science team to discover and develop new algorithmic insights from the weather instruments, LiDAR scanners, and computational weather simulations that power our dynamic line rating models. These models are the core of our flagship LineRate product that helps our Utility customers unlock untapped power transmission grid capacity.
The successful Early-Career Data Scientist will grow over time to become adept at using code to derive scientific insights and business conclusions from large volumes of time series and gridded geospatial data. You will work cross-disciplinary on agile technology squads to understand customer priorities, wrangle model inputs, visualize results, and validate model accuracy against the best available ground truth data. Your Data Science analytics projects will have multifaceted solutions, requiring you to think creatively and work collaboratively with your Data Science teammates alongside Hardware Engineering, Product Management, Software Engineering, and Customer Success teams, to arrive at the most effective solutions.
What will you do?
Core Responsibilities and Key Performance Objectives
- Improve, automate, and sharpen our algorithmic capabilities for detecting rare events such as conductor icing, wind-driven conductor galloping, and thermal anomalies.
- Derive statistical conclusions about the thermal performance of power line conductors and track the impacts of daily and seasonal weather patterns in our models over time.
- Extract and analyze raw sensor data from next-generation sensors that will help us drive scale and impact to serve an ever-larger fraction of the transmission grid
- Field ad hoc analytics requests to answer customer questions as part of scoping new business, and generate analyses that build confidence in our data with existing clients.
- Within Three Months:
- Learn the existing tools and techniques used in the team ranging from: modeling weather uncertainty, to computational fluid dynamics, to anomaly detection.
- Create strong working relationships with Data Science team members, Product Management, Software Engineering, Data Calibration, Sensor Hardware, and Customer Success teams.
- Deliver on initial ad hoc analytics requests and start to make meaningful contributions to larger data science team projects that are driven by the LineVision product and technology roadmap.
- Within Six Months:
- Uncover an important insight or flaw hidden in LineVision’s codebase that gets you recognized by your colleagues as a sharp problem solving data detective.
- Boldly dive into a new unfamiliar intellectual area such as wildfire risk prediction, computer vision, or computational fluid dynamics, while reading scientific literature for inspiration. We believe in a “beginner’s mindset” on our team and that we can teach ourselves almost anything to solve the problem at hand.
- Prototype your ideas with code, and discover new product enhancements with optimal model parameters that strike a balance between accuracy and practicality for operational implementation.
- Within a Year and Beyond:
- Grow in scope and capability from an early-career towards a mid-career data scientist, eventually growing project task complexity from well-defined 2 day tasks, towards delivering results on more open-ended, ambiguous, multi-week and multi-contributor projects.
- Completely own one of the Data Science team’s internal tools, algorithms, processes, or documentation areas, and become the “Go-To” person on the team to answer questions and drive improvements in your area of ownership.
- Stretch your programming and tooling capabilities into new areas such as machine learning, event-driven data pipelines, or high performance computing.
- Eventually become recognized as both an internal and external research expert by writing white papers and patent applications, or delivering industry conference presentations of your research results using LineVision’s data.
What do you need to succeed in this role?
- This role is perfect for talented undergraduate students or graduating academic Master’s or PhD scientists looking to break into the software industry, or an early-career data scientist looking to pivot from another industry into clean energy technology.
- A shared passion to accelerate the clean energy transition towards a Net-Zero Grid
- A working background in or a recent graduate in a scientific or engineering discipline (e.g. astronomy, physics, geology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, materials science, atmospheric science, fluid dynamics simulation, or boundary layer meteorology)
- Fluent with units of scientific measurement: can you speak in milligauss, amps, m/s, °C, knots, pascals, and Newtons?
- Python experience strongly preferred, especially shared code written collaboratively
- Exposure to data science tools: pandas, numpy, SQL, matplotlib, Jupyter notebooks
- Exposure to different data types: time series, IoT sensor data, or geospatial data
- Exposure to messy real world sensor data that is full of artifacts, outliers, and biases
What does joining LineVision mean for you?
- Impact. Your talent, time, and energy will critically impact our success in providing utilities around the world with solutions to increase the flexibility, efficiency and safety of their grids for a cleaner and electrified future
- Real World Data Science. Data science jobs that combine real-world sensor data, and impact a critical real world system like the bulk electricity grid are rare. We give you the opportunity to think like a scientist, but still have a direct impact on climate change and clean energy.
- Growth. You will join a high-performing data science team to maintain LineVision’s technical expertise for line monitoring and dynamic line ratings. This role will be hands-on with cutting edge LiDAR, weather, camera, and geospatial data. You’ll have opportunities to work with many cross functional teams, getting exposure to just about every aspect of LineVision’s business.
- Distinction. You will inspire the future by being part of a team that introduces a fundamentally differentiated solution to utilities that helps solve the challenges they face in updating and increasing the capacity of the current grid system
- Ownership. You hold broad responsibilities with high autonomy in a communicative, collaborative, and fast-paced environment with other like minded scientists and engineers
Who we are…
We are a rapidly growing technology company, enabling electric utilities around the world to lead the clean energy transition with enhanced transmission grid flexibility, increased resiliency, and more grid capacity for renewable energy. We provide utilities with our patented, non-contact sensors for the real-time monitoring and predictive analytics they need to accelerate the path to a net-zero grid.
- We are a team of dedicated individuals who are passionate about helping to solve the biggest challenges facing today’s electric grid
- We believe unlocking transmission capacity is critical to the resilience of our future grid and the ability to integrate renewables at scale
- We value and benefit from the wide-ranging perspectives that come from a diverse and inclusive work environment
- We are committed to providing:
- Situational awareness to help grid operators make informed decisions on the physical position of their conductors that can help to prevent damage and fires
- Dynamic Line Ratings to increase capacity by up to 40% on existing transmission lines with real-time monitoring while improving reliability & safety
- Asset health monitoring to improve maintenance strategies by creating a digital twin to determine the true conductor health
LineVision Inc is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
For more information, visit http://www.linevisioninc.com