BlueWave has an immediate opening for an experienced Engineer on our Interconnection Team, reporting to the Vice President of Grid Integration, this position will be responsible for managing Interconnection duties for solar and storage projects across multiple states. The primary focus will be to create and manage utility interconnection applications, Regional Transmission Operators, build relationships with utilities to expedite the interconnection process, negotiate with utilities on interconnection decisions, work with internal teams on technical and financial decisions for interconnections, perform competitive analysis and manage vendor interactions. Daily activities will include but not be limited to project support, strategic research and analysis on technical and/or policy related topics. Attention to detail and thoroughness are critical for being successful in this position. This position will be based in our Back Bay Boston office, aligned with the current office schedule.
BlueWave's mission is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects, BlueWave has a long track record of success and is developing several gigawatts of solar and battery storage projects throughout the United States to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package, including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, cell phone reimbursement, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
- Create, track and manage interconnection applications for various projects
- Negotiate with utilities on interconnection related topics, including scope, timeline and costs.
- Manage utilities customer portal system on a daily basis
- Review and draft one-line diagrams and site plans for solar and storage systems for interconnection purposes
- Research utility infrastructure to inform projects
- Research and deconstruct utility and ISO tariffs for application submission
- Assist management in interconnection strategy
- Manage incentive application and materials for BlueWave projects
- Manage and communicate interconnection milestone payments and schedule
- Develop justification of the financial case for interconnection payments
- Coordinate with internal teams and processes for making payments
- Form strong relationships and maintain frequent communication (formal and informal) with various utility personnel across the chain that impact Blue Wave projects
- Negotiate interconnection upgrades and costs with utilities
- Manage and conduct bi-weekly meetings with utility personnel
- Inform other technical and non-technical teams on interconnection specifications
- Prepare and lead weekly internal interconnection update meetings
- Manage third party technical consultants, engineers and other entities
- Provide interconnection and incentive related materials as requested
- Supervise IX team Co-Ops
- Engineering degree
- Minimum 3 years Experience working with a utility/developer or IPP
- Strong engineering, analytical and quantitative skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well on a team
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and manage tight deadlines
- Detail orientation
- Organizational skills
- Knowledge of utility infrastructure (including transmission and substation engineering) is strongly desired
- Understand solar and storage project electrical components, including batteries, balance of systems, inverters and transformers
- Understand solar and storage project single line diagrams and layouts
- Understand utility infrastructure and interconnection processes
- Understand technical aspects of utility interconnection materials
- Understand implications of Project Development and Project Engineering on interconnection aspects
- State policy, incentives and tariff implications on interconnection applications in East Coast markets is a plus
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.