The mission of Onward We Learn is to prepare and inspire young people in Rhode Island to become the first in their families to attend and complete college. From the time they join through their early years of college, participants experience the steady, nurturing presence of caring adults and participate in programs that focus on academic enrichment, personal development, career exploration, and college preparation.
Onward We Learn encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply, particularly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); those who are the first in their family to attend college; LGBTQIA+ community.
Primary functions and purpose of this position including overall objectives of the position
The Admissions Coordinator is a pivotal figure in our organization, spearheading the administrative functions crucial to recruiting new students and families to Onward We Learn. With a focus on establishing and nurturing relationships within our community, schools, organizations, and other key stakeholders, this role actively builds a robust pipeline of prospective students and their families into our program. As the face and guide for families, the Admissions Coordinator collaborates seamlessly with our external team members and assumes leadership over essential administrative operations. These operations encompass entering and uploading data, meticulously tracking application statuses, promptly responding to family inquiries, disseminating program materials, and generating insightful reports. Moreover, the Coordinator works closely with the Director of Recruitment and Admissions, contributing to the ongoing refinement of our admissions processes.
Recruitment Strategy and Outreach
- Participate in the development and implementation of recruitment strategies for Onward We Learn’s participating school districts.
- Oversee the distribution of marketing and recruitment materials to Middle School Advisors, ensuring each has the appropriate number and type of materials needed.
- Monitor and manage the organization’s inventory of marketing and recruitment materials and replenish supplies as needed.
- Manage the organization’s calendar of school-based events that may be used to promote Onward We Learn admissions.
- Organize and provide materials for admissions-focused events, including instructions and checklists for Onward We Learn staff participating in these events.
- Participate in community and school-based events including welcome nights, information sessions, student/family orientations, and providing information to families and school partners about Onward We Learn.
- Respond to incoming inquiries from prospective families in a timely manner, either directly or by connecting families with other staff who can address their needs.
- Work with Middle School Advisors to maintain current listings of all relevant school personnel involved in Onward We Learn recruitment efforts.
- Participate in application support sessions with prospective Onward families, guiding them through each step of the application process.
- Participate in training Middle School advisors and other relevant staff on admissions protocols and processes.
- Participate in an annual review of the admissions process and provide feedback about necessary system changes or improvements.
Data Collection and Management
- Track all incoming documents related to admissions, reviewing them to ensure completion and following up on any missing or incorrect information as needed.
- Monitor application statuses in Onward We Learn’s application system and provide regular updates to the Director of Recruitment and Admissions and others about the number of applications in each status.
- Identify necessary edits to Onward We Learn’s application each year and work with key internal stakeholders to update the application in the system.
- Promptly identify any challenges related to admissions processes (e.g., data system glitches, backlogs) and report them to the Director of Recruitment & Admissions.
Each employee of Onward We Learn is expected to demonstrate the following in the regular performance of his or her job duties:
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of Onward We Learn
- A willingness to contribute productively to the success of your team and the organization.
- An understanding of and commitment to Onward’s core competencies of accountability, collaboration, communication, institutional values, and service.
- Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and improving the overall operations of Onward We Learn such as strategic planning, organizational development, and performance improvement.
- Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for Onward We Learn.
- Knowledge of the barriers and obstacles that low-income families and first-generation students encounter in the journey to higher education is preferred.
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance.
- Adherence to all existing company policies and procedures.
- Perform additional duties as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A minimum of two years’ relevant professional work experience.
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency required.
- Must be willing to maintain a flexible schedule, including some weekend and evening hours.
- Exceptional organizational skills, coupled with an acute attention to detail.
- Demonstrated expertise in time management, adeptly juggling multiple initiatives concurrently.
- Adept at working autonomously while readily seeking guidance when necessary.
- Outstanding interpersonal capabilities, including the ability to engage effectively with individuals representing diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency in public speaking, with a proven track record of compelling communication.
- Prior experience in data entry and a strong familiarity with data management and quality assurance.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office and have an aptitude for quickly mastering and efficiently utilizing the latest software and technology systems integral to Onward We Learn's operations.