We are seeking a highly qualified English Second Language instructor to deliver ESL instruction to a group of adult learners from Afghanistan. The ESL Instructor will assume the role of designing lesson plans and engaging activities, applying innovative teaching methods, and fostering an atmosphere of encouragement and motivation to facilitate effective learning.
The ESL Instructor will possess the ability to establish a learning-friendly environment and empower the learners to actively engage with one another to enhance their proficiency in English.
Classes will take place at the adult learner’s work location several days per week for several hours per day. The final schedule will be determined by Program staff, instructor, and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implementing ESL teaching methodologies in lesson planning and activities.
- Develop and deliver lesson plans that utilize a broad range of appropriate teaching techniques and strategies.
- Address all aspects of communication through appropriate instruction that develops each student’s ability to read, write, speak, and listen in the appropriate content area.
- Assessing students' language abilities and tailoring instruction to meet their needs.
- Promoting and actively involving students in English-speaking interactions.
- Inspiring students through motivational techniques to create an enjoyable learning atmosphere.
- Enhancing students' speaking opportunities through oral assessments and presentations.
- Demonstrating effective classroom management skills.
- Administer language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress for meeting progress in language acquisition.
- Maintaining records of evidence of student progress and growth
- Collaborating with the Program Staff and other stakeholders when necessary.
- Adhering to established standardized guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Education, or related field (master’s degree preferred)
- 2+ years’ teaching experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of ESL teaching methodology
- Strong English language proficiency
- Ability to develop lesson plans and instructional materials
- Ability to teach adult learners of different backgrounds
- Ability to engage students creating a supportive and positive classroom environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- TOEFL Certification required
- References are required
The Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.