Start Date: January 2024
Reports to: Upper School Director
BB&N is seeking a full-time Upper School History to cover a leave of absence during the Winter and Spring of 2024. Primary responsibilities include teaching 4 classes for approximately 30 hours per week from early January 2024, through mid June 2024. We are seeking a knowledgeable History teacher who values student voice and agency, utilizes a variety of pedagogical approaches, can work independently, and is excited to work as part of a team in curriculum development. Primary responsibilities include teaching four history classes: two sections of our ninth-grade global history course and two sections of our tenth-grade global history course. Additional responsibilities include attending weekly History Department and discipline-specific meetings, contributing to History Department/Upper School initiatives as determined by the Department Head and the Upper School Director, and providing students with feedback on their work and assessments.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have teaching experience and an educational background in Global history. In addition, an undergraduate degree in history or a related field and a Master’s degree in history, education, or a similar field are preferred. Familiarity with teaching at both the introductory and honors level and ample experience with differentiated instruction and collaborative learning are strongly desired. Preference will be given to teachers with 3-5 years of experience teaching history at the high school level.
In addition, the candidate will demonstrate the following:
- dedicated to the goal of creating and maintaining an authentic, inclusive community;
- enthusiasm for working with adolescents;
- exceptional interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse group of people, including students, parents, faculty, and staff;
- strong communication skills through writing, speaking, and listening;
- ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
Essential Functions and Key Objectives:
- Plans and develops an engaging, age-appropriate course of study in the classroom, adhering to educational best practices and state and school district curriculum guidelines.
- Designs and delivers individual lesson plans in one or more academic, technical, or vocational subjects using a variety of teaching techniques and appealing to various learning styles.
- Prepares materials for lessons, assignments, and tests; evaluates, corrects, and grades student performance.
- Discusses academic difficulties or behavioral problems with students as they arise.
- Monitors students' progress throughout the year and evaluates preparedness for graduation, vocational school, or college, as appropriate.
- Communicates progress and concerns with tact and professionalism to parents and, as appropriate, other faculty, staff, and/or Director.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with parents.
- Enforces safety and security standards for students, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains required paperwork for individual student files, attendance and incident reports, and other necessary records.
- Monitors halls, study periods, and lunchrooms with other faculty and staff.
- Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars.
- Maintains knowledge of research, developments, and best practices in secondary education.
- Performs related tasks such as sponsoring student activities or organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Salary: $67,000.00 - $97,400.00 Prorated for daily Rate
BB&N offers competitive salaries and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $67,000 to the median 20 year teaching experience salary of $97,400. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally-appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N is an academically excellent, diverse, and inclusive community where students develop into lifelong learners who lead with kindness, curiosity, and integrity. We prepare students to be responsible and open-minded as they engage with the world around them. Our school is guided by the core values of:
- Inquiry, in which we promote curiosity and critical thinking to inspire a lifelong love of learning. Integrity, in which we strive to be honest, conscientious, and accountable in our actions even when no one is watching.
- Belonging, in which we foster a culture of respect, well-being, and connection that values all individuals and empowers them to discover and be their authentic selves, and
- Kindness, in which we strengthen our communities by recognizing our common humanity and treating ourselves and others with respect and compassion.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages, and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.