Under the supervision of the Executive Director for Western States Policy & Outreach, the Administrative Assistant will work on organizing and managing the office day-to-day administrative tasks and project management of HACU’s Western Regional Office (WRO). The Western Regional Office encompasses Arizona, California, Oregon, Nevada, and Washington State and is located in Sacramento, CA. The administrative assistant is a temporary position which will work on a part-time basis.
- HACU offers a friendly work environment and a generous company-paid benefits plan. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Pay: $18.00 - $20.00 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.
- 15 company paid holidays.
- 403(b), employer contributions (no match required) starting at six months of service.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Part-time positions that work under 30 hours per week are not eligible for benefits such as company-paid health insurance, life insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, retirement plan contributions, employee-paid optional insurance (dental, vision, accident, cancer, etc.), and educational assistance.
- Part-time employees are eligible for paid holidays, vacation, and personal leave accruals prorated to a part-time accrual schedule.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree from an accredited college or university; or equivalent combination of education certifications from an accredited college or university & three years related experience and/or training.
- Strong communication skills in written and oral English required, similar skills in Spanish preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and/or training with extensive proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including but not limited to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- High level of proficiency with word processing and databases required, i.e., document merges, databases, creation, data entry, maintenance, report generation.
- Must be able to interact effectively with all staff levels.
- Ability to effectively present information in a professional manner and respond to questions about HACU’s WRO, student services and other HACU programs to the general public in an informative fashion.
- Must be able to reliably commute to work location.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works collaboratively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of professional, technical, and administrative staff to ensure the fulfillment of HACU’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Assists with updating supervisor’s calendars.
- Responsible for reading and routing incoming mail. Locates and attaches appropriate file to correspondence to be answered by the Executive Director for Western States Policy and Outreach.
- Responsible for drafting, emailing, and filing legislative and routine correspondence and other records.
- Maintains electronic and hardcopy records system for WRO.
- Answers telephone and gives information to callers or routes calls to appropriate staff person. Follows up on telephone calls, if necessary.
- Schedules meetings/appointments and coordinates special events, including conferences, workshops, and member visits.
- Greets visitors, ascertains the nature of business and directs visitors to the appropriate person.
- Maintains clean office appearance and supplies.
- Files and maintains vendor records and account reconciliations.
- Works with the San Antonio IT Department to ensure proper operation and maintenance.
- Coordinate WRO meeting/event planning and logistics.
- Handles errands for the office such as going to the Post Office or Capitol.
- Arranges for maintenance of office equipment (computer, fax machine, copier, postage meter).
- Maintains records of office keys and equipment inventory.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Employee will work a part-time schedule, typically 20-25 hours per week, and not to exceed 29 hours per week; however, longer hours may be necessary at times.
- Conferences and events may take place in hotel and/or convention center settings and require longer hours of work on a constantly changing schedule, including work on weekends and evenings.
- Working conditions are in an office environment.
- Occasionally moves items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally move about the office
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Positions self to perform essential functions of the job in an office setting.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position.
- Maintains and ensures security of HACU-issued equipment, software, data, and supplies.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
In accordance with the ADA and other applicable laws, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) believes that equal opportunity for all employees and applicants is important for the continuing success of our organization. As an equal opportunity employer, HACU is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. HACU will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department via phone at 210-576-3216 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For HACU's full Equal Opportunity Policy Statement, click here.
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the HACU will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship. The policy regarding requests for reasonable accommodation applies to all aspects of employment, including the application process. If reasonable accommodation is needed during the application process, please email email@example.com. For more information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act, click here.