About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking talented, passionate individuals to serve as one-on-one Paraprofessionals or in SPED classrooms at our PreK-8 schools. The paraprofessional will assist with managing the behaviour of the assigned student(s) in addition to supporting the instruction in the classroom. Paraprofessionals are motivated individuals dedicated to providing an excellent education for all youth, particularly those in disadvantaged urban areas.
- Assists in the delivery of special education services under the supervision of the Special Education teacher
- Supports the instruction in the classroom for the assigned student(s)
- Assists assigned student(s) with classroom assignments and homework
- Supports instructional aspects of student(s) IEP(s)
- Works to keep student(s) on task during classroom instruction
- Provides behavioral support throughout the school day
- Supports student IEP goals in areas of academics, social emotional and related service areas
- Medical care and assistance for students may be required as part of a student’s health plan (must be willing to be trained)
- Supports lessons that lead to standards mastery
- Supports teachers in using push-in/pull-out class time effectively to ensure lesson cycle is effectively accomplished
- Provides individual students with one-on-one assistance and tutoring as needed
Goals and Behavior Management
- Invests student(s) in achieving their goals
- Commands respect and refuses to tolerate disruptions
- Helps students connect their behavior to achieving goals and school values
- Supports the use of an organized system to use assessment data to monitor the progress of assigned student
- Collaborates with teachers, SPED staff, and school leadership to create effective practices and policies
- Participates in school-wide duty rotations, meetings, and events
- Performs other duties as needed
Education & Experience:
- Passed the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Para-Pro Assessment [ETS ParaPro Assessment (#0755) passing score: 450]; or
- Fluently Speak and Understand Spanish
- Completed at least two years of full-time study (48 semester credit hours) from a state-approved or regionally accredited institution of higher education; or
- Earned an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of Applied Science degree or higher from a state-approved or regionally accredited institution of higher education or
- Obtained a CDA certification
- Previous experience working with students with health plans is preferred
- Experience in an urban, open admissions school
- Experience working with and a deep commitment to at-risk students and families
- Demonstrated record of setting high expectations for students with special needs
- Great communication and collaboration abilities
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine Commitments?
We Keep Learning
We Work Together
We Are Helpful
We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
We Share Joy
We Show Results
? While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
? The employee may be required to run short distances or physically exert him/herself in the care of a child.
? Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
TEACHING ASSISTANT/PARAPROFESSIONAL reports to: School Leadership & SPED Coordinator
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.