BridgeTower Media is seeking an experienced, digitally savvy Editor who can work with a strong team to create quality journalism. This position is to edit the Yellow Sheet Report, a 5-day-a-week insider newsletter covering Arizona politics and government. It requires a journalist who can develop sources to gain access behind the scenes of Arizona’s political, state government, and public policy world. This editor must also have a sharp eye for irony, hypocrisy, spin, and political theatre and able to write clever, satirical headlines and memes for straight news stories.
What skills does the job require?
- 3-5 years of strong journalism experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience with government reporting
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Experience with public speaking
- Ability to build strong relationships with key news sources.
- Ability to lead
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Reliable home internet connection with minimum 50mbps up/10mbps down
- Reliable transportation
What will you be Responsible for?
- Report on and write news stories for Yellow Sheet Report and coordinate coverage of four reporters and edit their stories.
- Create a hard copy of the daily newsletter and post all stories to the Yellow Sheet Report website.
- Develop trust and relationships with Arizona’s key political figures to gain inside information.
- Attend and cover political events.
- Develop innovative ideas for writing political and state government news stories.
- Stay updated with the latest political and state government news and events.
- Research political and state government stories and prepare interview questions as required.
- Research, write, submit, and edit stories within established deadlines.
- Write political and state government stories in unique and interesting ways to increase readership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What does BridgeTower Media offer?
- A competitive benefits package that includes health, vision, dental plus robust supplementary options.
- Company paid Life, AD&D Insurance & Short and Long-Term Disability coverages
- Health Savings Account with employer contribution
- Free 24-hour TeleMedicine and TeleCounseling Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Leave Program
- Unlimited PTO
- Sick Time
- Summer Weekend Jumpstart Hours**
- Over 10 holidays paid
- Tuition Assistance Program
- 401K with a company match
- Growth opportunities to build your career
- Learning & Development programs
**As long as business needs are met*
Who is BridgeTower Media?
BridgeTower Media is one of the country’s leading business-to-business media companies with 44 print and digital publications in more than 20 U.S. markets. BridgeTower Media empowers communities with insights and connections to ignite growth in the business, legal, and construction industries. Through a collection of authoritative media properties and publications across the United States, we have deep relationships in the communities we serve, enabling us to provide unparalleled access to industry leaders and expert information.
BridgeTower Media and all subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and value diversity in our workplace.
This job requires someone who can develop a vast network of sources who will provide news tips and inside information on the workings of Arizona politics and state government to give deep context to stories. Although not a management position, this person must be able to lead a team of reporters to produce daily coverage for the news letter and be able to write one to two stories per day while also editing copy from the team, writing satirical headlines and memes, posting the stories online and creating a PDF.