The Diocese of San Diego is seeking a qualified, experienced and passionate preschool teacher who is deeply committed to developing Christ-centered, forward-thinking leaders to serve our future Church and our world. Santa Sophia preschool is a parish school located in Spring Valley, California. The preschool program serves students ages 3 to 5.
School Mission Statement:
At Santa Sophia Preschool, our focus is on the development of the whole child: spiritual, emotional, intellectual, social and physical. We strive to provide a nurturing and consistent routine; freedom with limits. We believe child’s work is play. Children at a young age learn best through hands on experiences. Children are encouraged to become self-sufficient and empowered, resulting in a feeling of accomplishment.
- Manage daily operations of preschool program for children and their families
- Create and maintain a safe, stimulating and inviting early education preschool environment to maximize the growth and development of every child
- Implement learning activities and opportunities in the early education preschool setting
- Provide training and direction for Preschool Instructional Assistants or other assigned staff
- Work in collaboration with Preschool Instructional Assistants and other teaching staff to plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum based on individual assessment of child’s growth and development
- Establish a professional relationship between parents and early education preschool site including conducting parent/teacher conferences to assist parents’ understanding of their child’s development and/or students with issues; participates in daily discussions with parents; engages parents and families in early education preschool activities
- Return voice-mail/e-mail messages in a timely manner
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Maintain a neat and orderly classroom
- Verify student absences and maintain daily attendance and safety logs.
- Demonstrate a respectful demeanor with staff, students, and parents
- Observe utmost confidentiality regarding parent, student, staff information/conversations
- Supervise playground and other areas of duty as the role may require
- Perform other related duties as assigned which may include serving meals to children in the program, assisting with basic hygiene, assistance in the development of independent toileting and conduct basic cleaning and sanitizing during the school day
- Supervise children in classroom/bathroom
- Active, practicing Roman Catholic (preferred)
- Basic Preschool Catechetical Certification (preferred)
- Respects and understands a Catholic school philosophy
- Proof of completion of 12 or more Early Childhood Education (ECE) Units
- Clear criminal background check (a clear Livescan for Community Care Licensing is a condition of employment)
- Experience teaching in a preschool classroom
- Positive professional references and recommendations
Requirements upon hire:
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Proof of immunizations
- Proof of completed Mandated Reporter training for Child Care Providers
- Cleared TB test to work in Licensed Child Care Facility
To successfully meet the needs of the students in his/her care, the teacher must:
- Spend the majority of the day standing in the classroom. While standing the teacher will frequently hold objects they are working with or demonstrating
- Sit on an occasional basis when developing lesson plans, grading, etc.
- Walk through the classroom and be able to maneuver in tight spaces between desks. Walk on both even and uneven surfaces.
- Deal with students while kneeling or squatting, stooping, or bending.
- Reach at, below, or above shoulder height with the dominant upper extremity; may require trunk or neck rotation to look back at the class.
- Assist in moving children's desks and chairs to change the layout of the classroom to influence the learning situation. It is occasionally necessary to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 25 pounds from the office to classrooms.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to be inside the classroom. The employee is required to be mobile to, from, and within the classroom and preschool environment, as well as maneuver throughout the school facility to attend meetings, trainings, and other work-related events. The employee may be required to conduct trips to, from, and within various city and county-wide locations to attend trainings or workshops.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Santa Sophia Preschool, as part of the Catholic Diocese of San Diego, is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.