Nielsen-Kellerman is looking for a Firmware Engineer II to help drive results and efficiency within our firmware team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Firmware Engineer II is responsible for implementing features and maintaining firmware for bare metal and RTOS systems written in C. Working on cross-functional teams in an agile environment, the firmware engineer will participate in sprints and be responsible for completion of assigned issues. Successful candidates will have experience with embedded firmware on bare-metal MCUs and a strong desire to learn best practices in software design and implementation.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Implement assigned firmware issues in C on embedded ARM MCUs
- Help troubleshoot firmware/hardware using DMMs, scopes, logic analyzers and other lab equipment
- Participate in software best practices such as code and design reviews
- Use git source control and CI tools
- Use workflow systems, participate in sprints and scrum meetings
- Remain accountable throughout the development process, coordinating verification with Software Test Engineers
- Follow development process and coding standards
Personal Qualities for Success in this Job
- Curiosity combined with a willingness and ability to learn new things. We expect the successful candidate to take the initiative, be self-motivated, ask frequent questions, research independently, and acquire and retain new information
- Able to work independently and under the direction of senior developers
- Able to work collaboratively with others to help solve firmware and hardware issues
- Driven to continuously improve and grow skillset within the team
- 2-4 years of firmware development experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience with embedded pre-emptive, multi-tasking RTOS such as FreeRTOS
- Knowledge of MCU hardware and protocols including ADC, PWM, I2C, CAN and UART
- Experience using firmware IDEs, debuggers and lab equipment such as scopes, logic analyzers and waveform generators
- Ability to read schematics/PCB layout files
- Experience using Git, cloud-based source control systems like GitHub/GitLab and workflow systems such as Jira and ClickUp
- Self-starting, meticulous and organized with strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Candidates must be able to work independently in a small company environment with preferred experience working in an electronics R&D environment
- Ability to work on multiple issues simultaneously and with a sense of urgency
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Climate-controlled manufacturing facility and offices. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Dogs in office.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday, 40-hour work week. Some flexibility to set 40-hour schedule around core hours of 10am-4pm.
Most training is on-the-job but formal education and training may be provided where appropriate.
Travel / Work Location
Hybrid work environment that can accommodate remote work with some regular need to be in the office (likely 1-2x per week). NK’s facilities are located in Boothwyn, PA. Occasional travel may be required for training, evaluation of capital test equipment, or working with consulting engineers.
This is a salaried position. Pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience as well as company size. Annual bonus based on company and individual performance ranges averages 3 to 5% of compensation.
- Fully paid employee benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- Voluntary benefits include family medical, life insurance, critical care insurance, FSA dependent care and pet insurance
- HSA with employer contribution
- 401k with employer match to 5%
- 9 paid holidays, one floating holiday and flexible PTO
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave.
- All benefits commence the first of the month following 60- 90 days of employment.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship. Visa sponsorship for work authorization is not available for this position now or in the future.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NK is an equal opportunity employer. NK conducts all employment-related activities in full compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and without regard to an individual’s age, color, gender, disability, marital status, national origin, citizenship, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or other legally protected category. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment including training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits and all other aspects of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Nielsen-Kellerman is the parent company for eight brands focused on helping people succeed in their profession or passion by providing mission-critical measurements, information, insight and guidance whenever and wherever needed. Ambient Weather, Kestrel Weather, KestrelMet, RainWise, Kestrel Ballistics, MagnetoSpeed, Blue Ocean Megaphones and NK Sports are each recognized as the preeminent products for their applications from meteorology to military, firefighting to farming and rowing to research. Our products ARE us - we design them, build them, sell them, and passionately stand behind them.
NK has been in business for over four decades and is still growing stronger. Working here offers excellent opportunities for personal and professional development as well as the fun and satisfaction of being part of a successful American business. NK is a Lean enterprise committed to American manufacturing and continuous improvement of our design, production, administrative and sales processes.
NK's headquarters comprises three facilities located in Boothwyn, PA, about 30 minutes southwest of Philadelphia. Our Ambient Weather brand operates primarily from Chandler, AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. NK's work environment is informal and high-energy, and our employees' quality of life is important to us. NK has been named a Philly Top Workplace 8 times, including 2022.