FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Continuous Improvement Engineer leads performance improvement initiatives across the plant and various departments to enhance key metrics such as safety, quality, delivery, cost, material flow, information flow, and productivity. In this role, the Continuous Improvement Engineer plays a vital role in creating, implementing, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement within the company by training the business, developing improvement roadmaps by using value stream and process mapping, creating, implementing, and utilizing a structured problem-solving approach, as well as organizing and facilitating Kaizen events.
- Offers Continuous Improvement (CI) support to various business functions including the shop floor, management, quality, supply chain and logistics.
- Designs, develops, and implements workflow processes in conjunction with manufacturing engineering to create/update work instructions, visual aids, and process standards for manufacturing and all production operations.
- Identifies and troubleshoots inefficient or ineffective work processes. Performs process analysis, design, and refinement.
- Investigates the root causes of production issues, defects, or inefficiencies, gathers data, and develops strategies for addressing these issues to prevent recurrence.
- Plans, organizes, and leads cross-functional Kaizen events for key process improvements and manages the resulting long term improvement projects.
- Facilitates Kaizen and process improvement initiatives.
- Works individually or within teams to complete projects applying Lean and Six-Sigma methodologies.
- Provides Lean Manufacturing training (including 6S, 8 Wastes, Value Added/Non-Value-Added analysis, SMED, poka yoke) and Structured Problem-Solving techniques to team members.
- Leads and facilitates value stream mapping efforts.
- Fosters a culture of continuous improvement by developing essential skills and visual aids for team members across the organization.
- Coaches others in tiered leadership and an hourly approach to problem solving for improved plan attainment.
- Maintains detailed records of improvement initiatives, performance metrics, and the impact on key business indicators.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or Lean engineering is required.
Three years of continuous improvement experience working in a manufacturing environment is required.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Demonstrated knowledge and successful implementation of Lean/Six Sigma principles and managing complex projects.
- Knowledge of lean systems and tools.
- Demonstrated use of advanced problem-solving processes and tools.
- Ability to facilitate cross functional lean activities (SMED, VSM, etc.).
- Experience developing and leading lean training.
- Demonstrated use of project management tools.
- Ability to work in and lead a team environment with a diverse workforce in all departments and shifts.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Knowledge of precision machining and modern machining and automation technologies preferred.
- Proficiency in Computer Numerical Control (CNC) programming, setup, and operation preferred.
Lean, Six Sigma Black Belt, and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certifications are preferred.
Typical office environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required. May be exposed to loud noises and dangerous chemicals while on the plant floor. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds unassisted.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.