The Diocese of San Diego is seeking a qualified, experienced and passionate educator who is deeply committed to developing Christ-centered, forward-thinking leaders to serve our future Church and our world. St. Michael's School is a parish school located in San Diego, California.
- Develop and implement lesson plans aligned to the Common Core and California State standards as well as the Diocese of San Diego Religion Standards
- Establish a positive classroom culture and maintain strong classroom management to maximize instructional time
- Differentiate classroom instruction to meet the needs of all learners
- Regularly collect and analyze data to inform and adjust instruction
- Skillfully use technology to accomplish learning goals and increase student engagement
- Evaluate students' academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, prepare progress reports and report cards (grades)
- Communicate regularly with parents and guardians on student progress
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve instructional practices throughout the school and share best practices
- Actively participate in ongoing professional development
Administrative/ Other Responsibilities:
- Return voice-mail/e-mail messages in a timely manner
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Maintain a neat and orderly classroom
- Demonstrate a respectful demeanor with staff, students, and parents
- Observe utmost confidentiality regarding parent, student, staff information/conversations
- Supervise playground and other areas of duty as the role may require
- Other duties as assigned
- Active, practicing Roman Catholic (preferred)
- Basic Catechetical Certification (preferred)
- Respects and understands a Catholic school philosophy
- Possess a cleared California multiple subject teaching credential (preferred)
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree
- Clear criminal background check (a clear Livescan for the Diocese of San Diego is a condition of employment)
- Experience teaching in an elementary school classroom
- Positive professional references and recommendations
To successfully meet the needs of the students in his/her care, the teacher must:
- Spend the majority of the day standing in the classroom. While standing the teacher will frequently hold objects they are working with or demonstrating
- Sit on an occasional basis when developing lesson plans, grading, etc.
- Walk through the classroom and be able to maneuver in tight spaces between desks. Walk on both even and uneven surfaces
- Deal with students while kneeling or squatting, stooping, or bending
- Reach at, below, or above shoulder height with the dominant upper extremity; may require trunk or neck rotation to look back at the class
- Assist in moving children's desks and chairs to change the layout of the classroom to influence the learning situation. It is occasionally necessary to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 25 pounds from the office to classrooms
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to be inside the classroom. The employee is required to be mobile to, from, and within the classroom and preschool environment, as well as maneuver throughout the school facility to attend meetings, trainings, and other work-related events. The employee may be required to conduct trips to, from, and within various city and county-wide locations to attend trainings or workshops.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
St. Michael's School, as part of the Catholic Diocese of San Diego, is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.