The Holocaust Center is a program of Jewish Family and Children’s Services of San Francisco, the Peninsula, Marin, and Sonoma Counties. We are dedicated to the remembrance, research, documentation, and education about the Holocaust. As Northern California’s primary resource for education about the Holocaust and genocide, our work increases awareness about Jewish history and the causes and consequences of antisemitism, racism, and discrimination. Through a deeper understanding of the Holocaust and patterns of genocide, our goal is to inspire moral courage and social responsibility in future generations.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of the JFCS Holocaust Center, the Curriculum Specialist is integral to the planning and implementation of the Holocaust Center’s educational programs in Holocaust and genocide education. A strategic area of focus is deepening the impact of the statewide California Teachers Collaborative for Holocaust and Genocide Education, a first-of-its-kind statewide network that connects educators, genocide survivors, and community leaders in order to support California teachers to effectively teach Holocaust and genocide education in their classrooms and address the surge of antisemitism and hate in California school communities. The Curriculum Specialist collaborates closely with the Associate Director to ensure that teachers within the Collaborative are well supported to meet curriculum implementation expectations and help expand the reach and impact of the state-wide initiative.
The Curriculum Specialist is a credentialed teacher with excellent facilitation and presentation skills, who brings experience in Holocaust and genocide education, knowledge of Jewish history, knowledge of current teaching methodology at the secondary school level, and experience working to develop the capacity of teachers. They understand the mission and objectives of Jewish Family and Children’s Services, work within the limitations of the Agency’s resources, and perform all duties in compliance with agency standards.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Salary Range: $80,000-$90,000
- Employment Type: Full-time, exempt with benefits
- Employer 403(b) retirement match plus additional employer contribution (subject to eligibility)
- Cafeteria plan with medical, dental, vision, FSA, Employer-paid life, and disability insurance
- 16 holidays (10 federal and up to 6 Jewish holidays), annually
- 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick leave, annually
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and facilitate professional development for educators on topics of Holocaust and genocide education
- Provide individual coaching and support for educators from the California Teachers Collaborative
- Work in partnership with the Associate Director on the strategic rollout and scaling of the California Teachers Collaborative
- Work in partnership with the Director of Education on related curriculum projects
- Comply with the Jewish Family and Children’s Services Policy and Procedures Manual and other Agency standards of performance, as well as agency health and safety standards for clients, employees, and the facility
- Perform other duties and special assignments as may be assigned by the Associate Director of the Holocaust Center, the Director of the Holocaust Center, and executive leadership
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Credentialed teacher with strong experience in Holocaust and genocide education
- Knowledge of Jewish history, tradition, community, and culture
- Minimum of three years of teaching at the secondary level
- Deep knowledge of effective instructional strategies
- Prior experience developing the capacity of teachers in a leadership, coaching/mentorship, or professional development role
- Effective facilitator, presenter, and public speaker
- Experience in curriculum development desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audiences, ensuring messages are clear, concise, and impactful
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-awareness, integrity, and a growth mindset are a must
- Ability to work independently and effectively in cooperation with other members of the team/agency
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and beginner knowledge of Excel
- Familiarity with presenting, facilitating and teaching with Zoom and other streaming platforms
- Experience in Asana a plus
- Ability to work onsite during business hours and able to work occasional weekends and evening hours to support program activities (required)
- Ability to travel 5-6 times a year throughout California to meet with teachers, visit schools, and attend educational conferences. If driving own vehicle, must have a valid CA driver’s license and proof of liability insurance, as well as access to a reliable vehicle.
**In order to be considered for the role, please attach a separate cover letter addressed to the Associate Director when submitting your application. Your cover letter should explain your interest in the position and describe why your background, skills, and experience make you a strong candidate for the role. Please be specific and detailed in your response.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans, and disabled individuals. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status. JFCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.