Who We Are:
KL&A is an IT consulting firm that knocks the socks off our clients. We work closely with organizations across the United States to develop creative business solutions through project & program management and custom software applications so they can focus on what’s most important…their mission.
We are honored to be named a Top Workplace by the Detroit Free Press for five consecutive years! Here at KL&A, we love what we do and believe that our employees are our greatest asset which is why we search for the best and brightest (and perhaps the most caffeinated) of the bunch. This is why our employees have the opportunity to work in an environment of their choosing, whether in the dynamic office environment, in your PJ bottoms at home, or a combination of the two.
Who You Are:
You live and breathe technology, and you love learning something new every day. Writing code of both high volume and quality is important to you, and you thrive off of receiving feedback and learning from your colleagues. You enjoy being a part of a growing team and leveling up your skills while contributing to a culture of growth. Implementing technical solutions for complex business problems excites you, especially those that will positively impact the team, client, and the communities around you. Working directly with clients doesn’t scare you, in fact, it motivates you to give your very best. You embrace the qualities that make you uniquely you and don’t mind being a part of a rogue team that is a little different from the rest.
About the Role:
As a Java Software Engineer, you will be an empowered self-starter, capable of both independent work and effortless collaboration within a diverse team. You'll join a group of dedicated professionals, including software engineers, project managers, business analysts, and client stakeholders, all committed to providing innovative solutions to our clients. Our work revolves around maintaining and enhancing web-based enterprise Java applications in an “agile-ish” environment. This role calls for a strong desire to continually expand your knowledge and embrace the principles of continuous improvement. You'll be encouraged to learn new technologies and play a pivotal role in revitalizing older applications, ensuring they meet the standards of high quality and innovation that we take pride in delivering.
Required Skills & Experience
- At least 3 years of experience building web applications or server-based applications
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without current or future need for a visa sponsorship
- Working knowledge of source control (Git, SVN, TFS, etc.)
- Experience with web-based Java technologies, such as: Java EE, Spring, JSP
- Experience with relational databases, such as: Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, or DB2
- Ability to write and execute queries, interact with the database to create and manage data structure
- Experience with batch and ETL processing
- Experience with Web Server technologies, such as: JBoss/WildFly, WebSphere, WebLogic, Tomcat, and/or Jetty
- Unix/Linux scripting experience
- Knowledge of Object Relational Mapping (ORM) libraries like Hibernate or JPA.
- Must have a solid understanding of software engineering principles and Agile software development methodologies
- Must have excellent programming, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Must have reliable internet and technologies to operate in a remote setting
- Must be able to work during normal business hours within the Eastern time zone
- Must be able to travel to Okemos, Michigan as necessary. (No more than four times per year)
Bonus Skills & Experience:
- Experience optimizing database structures for performance and/or maintainability and the ability to design and optimize stored procedures
- Experience developing RESTful web services
- Build tools (ANT, Maven, and Gradle) continuous integration (Jenkins)
- Experience writing automated tests (NUnit, JUnit, Spock, Playwright, Geb)
- Previous consulting experience
- Previous experience internalizing clients’ business operations to ensure proper data validation, business rules & exceptions, and accurate workflows throughout the SDLC
- Experience creating and implementing strategies for effective communication and collaboration between the development team and non-technical client stakeholders
Compensation & Perks:
- Competitive salaries with bonus potential
- Three (3) weeks of paid vacation (prorated for first year)
- 40 days of paid sick time (prorated for first year)
- Paid parental leave
- Family building assistance (adoption reimbursement, IVF counseling, etc.)
- 401(k) with immediate employer match
- Workspace customization bonus
- Ongoing education and training reimbursement
- Employee recruiting bonuses
- Monthly communication reimbursement
- Premium healthcare insurance, including medical, dental, and vision for individuals, families, and domestic partners
- Flexible Spending Accounts for dependent care and medical care
- Employer-paid group long-term disability and group life insurance
- Voluntary insurance options, such as pet, critical illness, AD&D, and life.
- Awesome co-workers!
Since the COVID-19 pandemic forced most of us to work remotely, KL&A has embraced the new flexible scheduling that was one of the microscopic lights at the end of the isolated tunnel. As a result, we are conducting all interviews virtually (get your Zoom background ready). New employees have the option of being onboarded into a virtual, in-person, or hybrid work schedule and are provided the tools they need to begin employment successfully, regardless of location.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Kunz, Leigh & Associates provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kunz, Leigh & Associates complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kunz, Leigh & Associates expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Kunz, Leigh & Associates’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.