The Baxter lab at Texas Biomedical Research Institute is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to join our team in conducting independent research in viral pathogenesis and immunology. We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated, and collaborative individual interested in developing and utilizing animal models to understand the mechanisms by which emerging pathogens induce disease. Our group uses multiple in vitro and in vivo techniques to examine the pathogenesis and host immune response to infections, including molecular cloning, PCR, plaque assays, ELISA, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, transcriptomics/RNA-Seq, neurocognitive behavioral testing, and in vivo imaging. The successful candidate will work on projects using mouse models to study emerging viral pathogens, with a focus on neurotropic alphaviruses, and will be encouraged to develop new directions of research in the lab.
- Design and conduct scientific experiments independently and in collaboration with other researchers in the lab and at Texas Biomed.
- Prepare materials for publication and grant applications.
- Participate in seminars and scientific meetings appropriate to field of interest.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- A highly motivated individual with a Ph.D. in virology, microbiology, immunology, pathobiology, or related discipline.
- Previous research experience in virology and/or immunology and working with pathogens in a high containment setting (e.g., BSL3 facility) is ideal.
- The ability and desire to lead collaborative research projects involving multiple scientists and technicians and mentor students and more junior lab members are preferred.
- No prior experience with mouse models is required, just a willingness to learn.
Who We Are:
Texas Biomedical Research Institute is one of the world's leading independent biomedical research institutions dedicated to advancing global human health through innovative biomedical research. Texas Biomed aims to unravel the mysteries of infectious diseases through innovative thinking, creative problem solving and cutting-edge technologies. San Antonio is a vibrant, rapidly growing city with an interactive research community, and affordable housing.
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive pay
- 7% Employer-Funded retirement contribution starting day one
- Full insurance benefits
- Holidays, PTO, and a week off for the last week of December
- We are proud of our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging!
Texas Biomedical Research Institute provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.