The Medical Education Manager is responsible for overseeing the Operation Smile Philippines Cebu Center of Excellence (COE) medical education strategy and health investments in the health care workforce. They will lead, adapt, and implement education products, programs, and initiatives offered at the Cebu COE to advance the capacity and capability of medical providers in Cebu and our partnerships. This includes participant recruitment and management, establishing partnerships, creation of products and services, day-to-day facilitation, measuring impact, and overall logistical experience for medical providers through our education programs. The Medical Education Manager works regularly and directly with the Cebu COE Director, Operation Smile Philippines (OSP) Executive Director and Operation Smile International (OSI) Director of Global Project Development and Regional Director to drive the education strategy to align with programmatic growth of the Cebu COE. Further, the Medical Education Manager works closely with the OSI Global Medical Education (GME) team and OSP staff, Center medical leadership, partners, medical advisory committee, and other OSI support teams to ensure high quality training programs. The Medical Education Manager reports directly to the Cebu COE Director and interim to the OSI Director of Global Project Development.
Medical Education Program Management, Implementation, and Engagement
*Managing a group of related projects and activities to achieve outcomes and strategic objectives.
- Assume direct responsibility for medical education offerings, advancement of programs, management, implementation, evaluation, and complete services for the Cebu COE.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all education partnerships, including with medical universities, partner organizations, NGOs, and partner hospital management.
- Develop, implement, monitor, evaluate, and report on education programs in alignment with standards from the OSI GME technical and regional teams.
- Manage daily education program activities to ensure an exceptional experience for trainers and trainees and alignment with scheduled activity.
- Plan and execute in-country education initiatives to include: Champion Accelerator Programming, Visiting Professorships, the Educational Components of Short Surgical Programs, Surgical Training Rotations, the Cleft Surgery Training Program, supporting residency programs in Operation Smile affiliated hospitals, allied health in-service trainings, trainings offered by GME for anesthesiologists, pediatricians, nurses, biomed techs, speech, nutrition, psychosocial and oral health providers.
- Engage and often lead medical educator and volunteer engagement, including the recruitment, fellowship and resident rotations, and medical team placements.
- Serve as a key leader at the Cebu COE, to ensure all medical education programmatic activities and projects align with high quality with overall Center operations.
- Actively identify and rectify gaps in programmatic implementation that may impact the success of the overall Center. Exercise good judgement in escalating issues.
Strategic Planning & Program Development
*Act as key player and contributor to the strategic planning process and program development.
- Lead the medical education management and experience strategy and activities to match the Center growth each year, including expanding offerings to increase quality and capacity.
- Alongside the Executive Director and Regional Director, work with global, regional, and program country representatives to create and/or update strategic work plans on an annual and multi-year basis for medical education programs, leading ongoing evaluation.
- Provide periodic updates to identify, understand, and address opportunities and challenges in program design and execution. Regularly offer strategies and solutions.
* Administration of business practices to create the highest level of efficiency possible within an organization.
- Leverage functional and technical expertise from Operation Smile HQ GME team and elsewhere to strengthen medical education programs within the Cebu COE.
- Support the adoption of global operating standards for medical education at the COE.
- Assist, and at times, lead, the hiring, onboarding and training new Center staff in relation to medical education and experience.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement of GME offerings and provide recommendations based on outcomes and impact.
- Manage medical education activity budgets with support of OSP Foundation and Cebu staff.
* Ability of an individual or organization to "lead" or guide other individuals, teams, or entire organizations.
- Provide leadership with a focus on program management, strategy, and implementation.
- Serve as a leader through exemplary display and propagation of the organization’s values.
- Work in concert with the Center Director and Managers in providing guidance, mentorship, motivation and oversight where necessary, with a special focus on medical education.
- Resolve issues or concerns as necessary and in a timely and professional manner.
- Actively engage in team goal setting, weekly meetings, and professional growth alongside the OS Philippines team and Cebu COE.
* Process used to engage relevant stakeholders for a purpose, to ultimately achieve desired outcomes.
- Liaise with and cultivate a positive, ongoing relationship with university partners, Medical leadership, Hospital leadership, government bodies, NGOs, and other key partners.
- Establish and maintain relationships with Health educators across the Philippines to expand program offerings and accessibility.
- Serve as a global ambassador and representative of the organization for local, regional, and international stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with OSP staff, OSI leadership, and community groups.
- Establish a cadence of communication with the Center Director, Director of Global Project Development, Executive Director, and Regional Director to optimize effectiveness.
- Attend and actively engage in various regional and international meetings as required.
- University (BA/BS) in education, business, management, communication, non-profit studies, or related field. Master’s degree in education or with medical experience is advantageous.
- 7+ years of professional management experience in educational, health, or nonprofit field.
- Experience working in healthcare delivery and/or with healthcare professionals.
- Data documentation and management experience is required.
- Professional experience working with high level stakeholders and partners is desirable.
- Work experience in an international NGO context is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability for Success:
- Project Management skills and self-driven with the capability to lead, problem solve, and execute tasks independent of supervision.
- High capability of building interpersonal relationships and communication.
- Microsoft Office suite proficiency.
- Highly capable verbal and written communicator in business and multi-cultural context.
- Travel in Cebu province and Visayan region expected 15-20% of the time.
- English and Visayan / Cebuano language proficiency is mandatory.
- Local residency in Cebu required.