Legal Aid Chicago encourages applicants with relevant volunteer and work experience, who have experiences with our client communities or individuals who identify as a person of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrant, or otherwise having backgrounds and experiences that are underrepresented in the legal profession to apply.
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Under the direct supervision of the Office Manager, the Office Assistant provides administrative and office support activities, prepares correspondence, greets visitors and provides information, processes forms, maintains database information, organizes and files information, and serves as a liaison with service personnel.
- Answer and appropriately route incoming calls. This includes taking messages, forwarding calls to voice mail, and referring call to other organizations.
- Greet visitor, determine reason for visit, and notify appropriate staff of the visitor's presence. When the visitor is a prospective client, briefly determine whether the assistance needed is offered by Legal Aid Chicago and either refer the visitor to an appropriate resource or begin the client registration process.
- Sort, date stamp and distribute incoming mail and other materials; stamp and post outgoing mail.
- Arrange for messenger service, UPS, Federal Express or other delivery. Receive deliveries and dispose of them in the appropriate manner.
- Receive, deliver and mail packages, and may be responsible for ordering and storing office supplies.
- Copy, collate, and scan documents.
- Perform light typing or word processing as required, including letters, forms, memoranda.
- Maintain proficiency with all equipment, computer hardware and software necessary to perform the duties of the position.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is part of the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW Local 2320. The Collective Bargaining Agreement sets employment terms and compensation is determined by the CBA salary scale, based on paid experience.
The Office Assistant position begins at $39,500 and increases for every relevant year of experience.
Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- This position will receive a translating, interpreting, and bilingual stipend of $2,600/annually, in addition to the base salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, effective the first day of employment
- Time Off: 15 vacation days and 13 sick days accrued within the first year of employment
- 14 paid holidays, including one floating holiday
- Six weeks of Paid Parental Leave at 100% of the salary after six months of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer contribution after one year of employment
- $50,000 Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance, at no cost
- Access to Employee Assistance Program resources, at no cost
- Monthly internet reimbursement
- Legal Aid Chicago is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and is an eligible employer for the federal public service loan forgiveness program
High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of customer service or administrative support experience required. Spanish Fluency is required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required in both English and Spanish. Must be able to fully speak, read and write Spanish with ease.
Our office, located in downtown Chicago at 120 S. LaSalle Street, is ADA accessible and has convenient access to public transportation and local expressways.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of two primary professional references and one alternative professional reference. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled.