We are committed to supporting at risk children and families by providing them with tools and resources to help prevent children from experiencing child abuse, neglect and abandonment. We are a Christian agency that believes in living our mission: “to provide Christ-centered care and support to children and families in need.”
In response to this community-wide challenge, Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services (PCHAS), provides 14 programs and services in 28 locations in Texas, Missouri and Louisiana. In all of our programs, we seek to provide children with permanent homes and adults with increased self-sufficiency. This is accomplished by the agency’s commitment to “The PCHAS Way” which inspires the agency to be strength-focused, family-centered, and goal driven with every client.
Benefits of serving children and families in need through PCHAS include competitive salaries, flex work schedules, paid time off, medical, dental and vision insurance options, voluntary life insurance options, paid holidays, and a very generous retirement plan (after one year of service and working 1,000 hours the agency matches an employee’s contribution).
Working Conditions: Works in site office 20% and in the community 80%. Ability to work independently to plan and organize case load of 12-16 clients into an effective and efficient 40 hr. work week. Driving to client’s home and transporting clients occasionally using your personal vehicle. Traveling and overnight stays for supervision, training or meetings may be necessary.
Position Summary: To provide families with support, education and resources necessary to meet their goals and become self-sufficient.
Essential Job Functions
- Publicize PCHAS presence as a professional liaison with the social service community and speak at churches and community groups when requested to secure referrals.
- Possess extensive knowledge of local resources and network opportunities and willingness to collaborate with these agencies and individuals.
- Make initial contact to referrals within 48 hours when possible and begin the intake process for potential clients in a timely manner.
- Possess critical thinking skills to value client’s strengths, but have the ability to identify areas of concern in order to help families to develop SMART goals, find solutions and work toward self-sufficiency and reevaluate these goals routinely.
- Assist and encourage families to advocate and coordinate (within their capacity) all services and community resources for themselves with the overall goal of achieving self-sufficiency.
- Provide psychoeducational parent training to equip families in becoming competent in demonstrating these skills with their children.
- To maintain all documentation required to be entered into CSWIS data system in a timely and detailed manner to ensure accurate outcomes.
- To attend all PCHAS meetings includes: monthly all staff, monthly C&F peer support and quarterly C & F PQI service team meetings.
- Required-Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, counseling or closely related human services discipline. Preferred-Master’s degree in social work or closely related field or currently enrolled in social work program.
- A minimum of 1yr. experience working with children and their families.
- A thorough understanding of the child welfare system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and comprehension.
- Complete and thorough knowledge of a variety of computer systems and programs as well as Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, Office and Power Point.
- Excellent conflict resolution competencies.
- Above average ability to teach concepts of TBRI and other skills to clients in a straightforward fashion.
- Above average ability to set goals and guide clients to a clear path for completion of them.
- Willing to work evenings or weekends as needed.
Must hold a valid driver’s license, have and maintain a risk-free driving record. Must be willing to undergo initial and periodic child abuse/neglect, criminal history, sexual offender, and childcare/elder care disqualification list screenings. As requested, must submit fingerprints for review by the state of your employment and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Must undergo a pre-employment drug screen and a pre-employment physical with the results showing no evidence of communicable disease.
Presbyterian Children’s Homes and Services is a faith-based Christian organization. We provide Christ-centered care and support to children and families in need. We strive to serve like Jesus. We meet our clients where they are and treat them with respect. We focus on our clients’ strengths rather than their problems. And we encourage our clients to focus on their future rather than their past. When we do this well, we help our clients find hope and know the love of God.