Basic Function: Works from blueprints and drawings to constructs a variety of pattern and tooling.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Works directly from work orders and specifications.
- Operates cut-off machine. Determines the pin and bushing size needed to fit bore for prop. Mounts prop in proper location. As grinding wheel turns, manually rotate prop around wheel to trim outside diameter. Manually turns prop around grinding wheel to trim outside diameter.
- Operates de-burring machine. Mounts prop on stand. Uses hand held de-burrer to remove excess foundry flash.
- Uses hand-held grinder to balance or clean prop.
- Suspends prop from balancing stand to determine location of out-of-balance. Grinds, as necessary, to correct balance. Balances prop by using weights or other material. Uses care to maintain contour and shape. Rechecks to verify correctness of balance after grinding.
- Places prop in fixture to track and ensure proper alignment. Uses various tools to track alignment.
- Stamps serial number, pattern, work order ID, release number and employee initials on props. Uses hammer and numerical and/or character hand stamp.
- Assists other polishers in lifting and maneuvering of parts, manually, with overhead hoist or using a tow motor.
- Assists in pouring molten metal in Foundry in addition to grinding of castings.
- Follows all safety practices and policies.
- Assists in Lean projects.
- Assists in other areas and departments as needed to ensure that the customer’s needs are met.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- 3 – 12 months previous work experience in similar manufacturing setting preferred
- Previous experience with assembly or hands on experience is strongly recommended.
- Previous application of lean manufacturing and structured problem solving tools is a plus.
- CNC programming, precision machining and metrology, and drafting knowledge are a plus
- Good understanding of blue print reading and excellent math skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of CAD is preferred
- Lifts frequently (50% of normal work day) material weighing 25 – 60 lbs. Occasionally lifts material over 60 lbs. Lifting generally from floor level to knee or waist level.
- Must be capable of close, distant, and color vision and have good depth perception.
- Must reach, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Be able to read part numbers and directions provided on a worksheet.
- Must be reliable and willing to work overtime when required.