The Upper School teacher will implement a rigorous academic program in visual art that aligns with Whitefield’s Christ-centered mission and will provide opportunities for maximum student development and growth through developmentally appropriate learning experiences. The teacher will design and implement a wide variety of instructional strategies that will accommodate various learning styles in accordance with the school curriculum and mission statement. The art teacher partners with the arts faculty to initiate and implement the day-to-day art program for Upper School students. The art teacher will begin to build the students’ critical appreciation of art and then allow them to learn with a hands-on approach. The art teacher will ensure an inviting and inclusive environment that encourages all students to embrace their God-given creative spirit.
- Plan for and teach up to five visual art classes to Upper School students
- Develop and implement a rigorous Upper School visual art curriculum
- Act as an art liaison for the school
- Implement instructional activities that contribute to a positive environment where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences
- Develop well-planned lessons through a Biblical worldview including appropriate work within and outside of the classroom
- Integrate a Christ-centered faith walk and Biblical Truth and principles into lesson plans and all activities as you lead students in prayer and deepening their Christian faith
- Effectively use best teaching practices to adapt teaching methods, instructional materials, and learning opportunities to meet students' varying needs and interests
- Instruct using a balance of teaching methods that provide students with opportunities to explore, question, investigate, and think critically
- Assess student progress through observations, assignments, and assessments, and communicate and collaborate with parents, other teachers, counselors, and administrators regarding students' progress
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, parents, and other professionals on a regular basis
- Observe and collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment
- Assist with development and implementation of interdisciplinary curriculum
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures
- Integrate thoughtful use of technology to enhance classroom instruction
- Commit to and participate actively in professional development opportunities
- Supervise/sponsor co-curricular and/or extracurricular activities such as overnight trips or events, etc.
- Act as an advisor for 10-15 students
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required
- Demonstrate stewardship of Whitefield resources and spaces
- Collaborate with colleagues and staff to support the school community, including participation in admission activities
- Adhere to the bylaws, policies and procedures, and to all laws that govern the school and its actions
- Other responsibilities as assigned by administration
Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience highly preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
- Strong aptitude for and knowledge of art education at the upper school level
- Exhibit a passion for learning and teaching
- Ability to develop rapport with students
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate computer literacy and proficiency (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, email, Internet, presentation software, and online grade book programs). Experience with SmartBoard and Schoology (or another learning management system) technology is a plus
- AP instruction experience a plus
- Desire to lead students outside of the classroom in extracurricular activities such as coaching or the arts is highly desired
In addition, the person should:
- Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
- Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
- Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
- Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
- Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
- Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
- Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in a classroom, and secondarily in an office. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 10 pounds often, up to 25 pounds regularly, and up to 50 pounds rarely; carrying up to 10 pounds often, up to 25 pounds regularly, and up to 50 pounds rarely; crawling rarely; climbing/balancing intermittently; kneeling and crouching regularly; sitting, walking, standing, pushing/pulling, reaching, bending, and stooping often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This full-time position will begin July 31, 2024. To apply please go to www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.