U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
U.S. Soccer is seeking an experienced and best-in-class storyteller to manage the content for the U.S. Soccer Federation. Our mission as a content team is to grow the sport of soccer through engaging with fans, while furthering the profile and mission of the Federation.
The individual in this role will be responsible for creating content strategies for the broader Federation, including but not limited to coaching, refereeing, extended national teams, youth national teams, Insiders, membership and our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging initiatives.
Content plans will encompass a variety of formats, mediums and channels delivered throughout the year and for tentpole events. These strategies include partnership elements and owned original content series. This individual will need to be able to critically evaluate content executions after campaigns and make data-driven decisions regarding future content strategies.
The Content Strategy Manager needs to be a creative person, capable of ideating and developing new content initiatives and compelling series for a variety of mediums and formats to drive audience engagement and commercial value to the Federation. It will be crucial to juggle content strategies currently being executed while simultaneously looking ahead and planning for the future.
We are seeking someone relationship driven with the ability to collaborate, communicate and build trust with different departments, internal and external stakeholders to manage the development of the content strategy throughout its entire lifecycle. Ability to build and manage relationships is key.
This individual will need to be versatile, nimble and poised under pressure with the ability to problem solve in real time.
Travel to team events, camps and games will be required as needed.
- Generate annual content plan for the Federation to deliver on strategy and strategic partner objectives.
- Build and distribute content plans for tentpole events to internal and external stakeholders in lead up to campaigns or key energy moments.
- This includes content in a variety of formats for a variety of platforms.
- The ability to identify ahead of time storylines to capture and tell.
- Lead brainstorm sessions to develop new content ideas campaigns and energy moments.
- Plan out the capture, editing and execution of content series, working in tandem with different departments that will be involved in the process.
- Build production timeline for content series and distribute to internal stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with other key stakeholders to manage projects to budget
- Collaborate with Social Media Team and Brand/Creative on graphic and/or video elements.
- Work with analytics and insights to revise and optimize content plans throughout the year based on data, narrative shifts, storylines and/or partner needs.
- Work with analytics and insights to understand key audience drivers and incorporate them into planning and content ideation.
- Serve as lead between content team and partnership marketing to ensure our ability to maximize value to partners.
- Partner with Sr. Director Content & Digital on the development of the department’s annual content strategy in alignment with Marketing and Federation goals.
- Partner with marketing leads on paid media planning (when applicable) to amplify and extend reach for U.S. Soccer and our partners.
- Ensure content is consistent in terms of quality, style, brand expression, and tone of voice across platforms to optimize user experience and contribute to the overall brand identity of U.S. Soccer.
- Align with Communications and Sporting Departments on key messaging strategies and opportunities for efficiency.
- 3+ years experience managing digital content storytelling.
- Passion for soccer and growing the game in the U.S.
- Digital and new media acumen – Ability to stay at the forefront of digital content innovations and trends.
- Experience crafting, ideating branded content series that authentically fit a brand.
- Ability to generate exceptional audience engagement through multiple formats and mediums and distribution channels.
- Sound editorial judgment and clear communicator.
- Detail-oriented to ensure high-quality work with a lot of moving parts and schedules.
- Project management experience, crafting content plans, outlining production schedule and timeline and then executing.
- Experience utilizing project management techniques and tools to keep stakeholders on track and deliverables on time and under budget.
- Experience managing content for a sports team or league and interacting with players and coaches.
- Previous experience in soccer or sports content.
- Discresion. This roll will be privy to confidential information.
- Able to work under tight deadlines and shifting schedules.
- Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including weekends, evenings and holidays as needed.
- Able and willing to travel as needed.
- Strong understanding of the content creation process across a variety of mediums (photo, short form video, long form video, written, social, graphics, motion graphics, etc.)
- Knowledgeable and interested in international and club soccer, particularly domestic leagues.
- Up to date on broader trends and direction for content on various social and digital platforms.
- Prior experience managing or creating content for high-profile individuals, teams or brands.
- Experience managing and working within a set budget and knowledge on how to maximize output while minimizing resources.
- Experience working with project management tools such as Asana, Page Proof, etc.
U.S Soccer is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, military status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected under the law. This policy applies to all our employment practices within our organization.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, parents, and persons with disabilities to apply.