As Principal Formulation Chemist, you will work in a highly collaborative environment to develop and optimize chemical formulations for industrial biocidal, disinfection, and hygiene-related products. You will work closely with other R&D scientists, cross-departmental colleagues, and customers to understand unmet needs and deliver innovative solutions that provide compelling food safety, quality, and security outcomes. You will design, lead, and conduct laboratory experiments, analyze data, troubleshoot issues, and prepare technical reports and documentation.
Job Essential Functions
- Develop and improve chemical formulations for biocidal and disinfection products, meeting all quality, performance, stability, sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and any other required attributes leading to key customer and business outcomes.
- Design, conduct, and evaluate experiments that support innovation projects with a high degree of independence, frequently using discretion and independent judgement in the design and execution of tasks.
- Coordinate and execute assigned projects and activities; develop project goals and timelines in compliance with Stage Gate, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations and guidelines.
- Prepare technical reports and documentation, and communicate results and recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Strengthen R&D by contributing new innovative ideas.
- Identify and troubleshoot formulation issues, and propose and implement corrective actions and improvements.
- Follow safety, health, and environmental regulations and policies, and maintain a clean and organized laboratory.
- Survey scientific literature and patent literature to remain current with developments and stay abreast of current trends, practices, regulatory changes that would impact Sterilex products
- Assist in preparing and editing patent applications, including Freedom to Operate and Patentability assessment support.
- Provide technical advice, support, guidance, and development for less experienced team members.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or related degree from an accredited college or university with at least 10-15 years of post-educational experience working in an industrial laboratory setting.
- Experience in the formulation of hard-surface products in the categories of antimicrobial products, cleaning products and associated technologies is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in surfactants and surfactant formulation chemistry.
- Demonstrated track record of formulation chemistry leading to commercially successful products.
- Strong understanding of industrial laboratory processes and procedures including proper maintenance of laboratory notebooks, patent process, and general laboratory safety procedures
- Proficiency in Design of Experiment (DOE) and project management tools.
- Must perform well under pressure and deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, effective interpersonal skills, and viewed as subject matter expert.
- Critical thinking and strong problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook, programs to operate equipment, and other related software.