About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to forge ambitious and practical solutions to climate change. Our mission is to secure a safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just and resilient low-carbon economy. What sets C2ES apart is our combination of policy and analytical expertise, longstanding relationships with leading businesses, and reputation as a trusted convener. We work closely with international climate negotiators, federal, state, and local policymakers, executives of Fortune 500 businesses, and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. We believe ambitious and effective climate policy is essential to a prosperous, sustainable, and equitable economy. As an organization, we are collaborative, unconstrained by silos, focused on where we can have greatest impact, and excited about growing our scale and reach while maintaining our nimbleness and entrepreneurial culture.
Position Summary: The Development Associate will support C2ES’ fundraising effort. They will be responsible for gift processing, data input, and acknowledging all donations and ensuring best practice regarding tax receipting and stewardship efforts. They will also play a central role in data management and analysis, providing weekly and monthly reports to help the team meet and exceed its budget goals. This is a growth opportunity where a strong candidate will have the opportunity to learn fundraising best practice and conduct prospect research, liaise with the finance team in ensuring data transparency and effective communication between the two teams, and support and learn from a growing team of front-line fundraisers working to secure transformational support for C2ES’ work.
- Ensure the timely cultivation, solicitation, and acknowledgment of annual fund donors.
- Manage participation in online giving sites and workplace giving programs, and work with Communications team members to manage and solicit donations through social media accounts.
- Work with Development teammates and Communications team to distribute updates to annual fund donors as part of cultivation strategy.
- Maintain the organization’s constituency relationship management system.
- Enter and track fundraising revenue and partner with the Finance team to ensure accurate tracking and reconciliation in budgeting.
- Manage state charity registrations and update annual certifications with charity rating agencies.
- Assist with planning and execution of development events as part of the Development Team.
- As bandwidth allows, engage in prospect research, support prep and development of materials and briefings for meetings, and other substantive support for the fundraising effort.
- Assist with event and board meeting logistics as needed to support other development and administrative staff. Assist with scheduling committee meetings, drafting correspondence, and communicating with internal and external constituents as needed.
- Advanced candidates may play a role in systems maintenance, helping to set and document process and procedures, and play a role in supporting/driving other operational priorities.
- B.A. degree and two to four years of development experience, or equivalent office experience, and understanding of fundraising best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize among and efficiently manage multiple assignments and meet critical deadlines;
- Flexibility, willingness to pitch in at all levels, and a team player;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, as needed;
- Commitment to, knowledge of, or experience in advancing issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and environmental/climate justice.
Starting salary range: $60,000-$75,000
Employment Status: Full-time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the total cost dental plan.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long- and Short-Term Disability.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- 5% C2ES contribution towards 403b retirement Plan.
- Flexible environment.
Reporting to: VP for Strategy and Development
Location: C2ES operates a hybrid work environment from our main office in Arlington, Virginia, though we may be moving to downtown DC in the coming year. Preference will be given to applicants in (or willing to move to) the Washington, DC metro area, with physical presence expected in the office at least 2-3 days per week.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES's DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice/