About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer to optimize and automate our infrastructure and deployment tools for our personalized education products and services. The Senior DevOps Engineer will leverage their expertise and understanding across infrastructure software automation projects and CI/CD pipelines while partnering with Engineering, Product Management, Cyber Security, IT, and QA to define and execute against technical designs following industry best practices.
This role is remote and requires some overlap with our headquarters timezone of EDT/EST.
What You Would Do
- Establish and maintain GitLab CI/CD pipelines, proactively troubleshooting failures and anticipating new features or build/deploy needs for release management
- Manage DevOps backlog, prioritizing work for sprints as it affects product quality and overall speed to delivery
- Implement important merge checks for unit test runs, linting, code coverage, and security
- Work with cloud engineers to respond to product/engineering/security needs
- Establish policies, procedures, and automation for managing credentials and access tokens
- Develop and implement the automation strategy between the product and tech stacks (e.g. Jira to GitLab)
- Collaborate with IT to automate, refine, and document onboard and offboarding tasks (e.g. GitLab access, SSO access to AWS, third-party services)
- Collaborate with Cyber Security to implement necessary tools and practices in our SDLC (e.g. static code analysis, CVE responses)
- Work with QA to set up test environments and automate functional or integration testing outside of pipelines
- Coordinate with Engineering, QA, IT, and Cyber Security to keep dependencies and other software up to date
- Create and maintain monitoring and alerting systems for various stakeholders
The technology stack in which we work includes:
- Front end built with React and Relay
- Data access and updates through GraphQL
- Microservices implemented in C# and .NET Core
- Test suites written in Python
- PostgreSQL database clusters
- AWS infrastructure managed with CDK
- GitLab build and deployment pipelines
What We Are Looking For
- 6+ years developing and managing CI/CD pipelines in GitLab for full software stacks across all phases of software development, from local development to testing to production
- 6+ years of experience in software development.
- A champion for and driver for the establishment of a DevOps culture of continuous improvement and cross functional collaboration.
- Experience working with containerized systems, including Docker, AWS ECS, and container registries
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals inside or outside cloud environments
- Experience with logging, monitoring, and alerting systems, including AWS CloudWatch and SNS, and integrations with systems like Slack and Jira
- Working knowledge with infrastructure-as-code systems, including AWS CDK and Terraform
- Strong system administration skills provisioning and managing servers, deploying databases, security monitoring, system patching, and managing internal and external network connectivity
- Experience working with developers, test engineers, and release and product managers to understand, anticipate, and satisfy their needs
Role Classification and Benefits
This role is remote, full-time, and includes benefits such as rich medical, dental, and vision insurance, 42 paid days off per year (prorated for the period in which you work), paid parental leave, a professional development budget of $375 annually and a quarterly cell phone subsidy.
The hiring salary range for this role is $122,000-$126,000 and will be commensurate with experience. We have a hiring salary range of $135,000-$140,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco/Oakland, Los Angeles, Seattle and their metro areas.
New Classrooms is a fully remote organization. All employees work from home, and occasionally travel for in-person get-togethers and off-sites.
Commitment to Diversity
At New Classrooms we are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create and inspire better ways to give every student an educational foundation for lifelong success. In order to fully realize this mission we are dedicated to building a diverse pool of candidates including those from underrepresented backgrounds, and resolute in building an inclusive culture that supports and celebrates the diverse voices and perspectives of our employees.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.