For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
The Senior Accounting Analyst is an integral member of the Financial Planning & Analysis Team (a division within Accounting) who is focused on the preparation and variance analysis of company financial statements. This role will support the Controller and Assistant Controller with the month-end close process, reconcile complex general ledger account balances, perform journal entry reviews, and is expected to possess a deep understanding of the accounting cycles and the financial statement process (GAAP). The ideal candidate will have strong accounting judgement, ability to learn new systems easily, and be able to work in a fast-paced environment with conflicting deadlines. The Senior Accounting Analyst will be analytical, detail-oriented, and possess problem-solving and process improvement skills.
• Assist with the month-end and quarterly reconciliations of the general ledger close, including reconciliation of key accounts, maintenance of roll-forwards, and journal entry review.
• Review the trial balances and financial statements for completeness, accuracy, and conformity to GAAP.
• Review and interpret financial operating results of various departments, buildings, and Consolidated level. Proactively monitor and respond to significant operating variances.
• Review monthly financial activity with Bellwether Portfolio Managers to analyze operating results and variances affecting Bellwether’s properties.
• Coordinate the preparation and delivery of the financial reporting package for Controller and CFO review; ensure reports are accurate, complete, and prepared on-schedule.
• Assist with the annual financial statement audits (Tax Credits and Non-Profit Audit).
• Periodically perform ad-hoc research and analysis of certain accounts.
• Provide functional advice to Staff Accountants (Accounting group division).
• Act as a subject matter expert for financial systems and evaluate the financial systems for process improvements.
• Assist with the annual budgeting process.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, and/or related field
• 5+ years of progressive accounting experience and financial statement preparation
• Demonstrated experience developing budgets, forecasts, and complex financial analyses
• Experience with financial reporting software
• Experience with interpretation and application of GAAP.
• Proficient in MS Office Suite, including the ability to develop advanced spreadsheets, manage databases, and produce meaningful charts and graphs within Excel
• Proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects
• Excellent independent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills
• Effective verbal and written communication and relationship building skills
• Ability to relate to and collaborate with team members, stakeholders, and government agencies
• Certified Public Accountant
• Public Accounting experience (auditing) – minimum of 3 years
• Experience with Yardi Voyager ERP system
• Project management experience
• Experience working with a diverse group
Other Position Requirements:
• A personal vehicle is not a requirement of this position. However, if using a personal or company-owned vehicle in the performance of job duties associated with this position, incumbent must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week, flexible work schedule
Compensation: $80,096 - $89,777 per year DOE, benefits
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.