Iowa city Hospice is a community based, not for profit Hospice that offers a work life balance culture that consists of a professional interdisciplinary team who provide exceptional patient-centered palliative care and grief support services to patients and families regardless of disease, age, background or ability to pay.
We are currently adding a PRN Social Worker to assist our team in providing social work support as well as covering other positions within our psycho social departments during planned leaves (vacation, FML, open positions....). This position is responsible for providing psycho social support to patients and families from time of admission up to and through bereavement needs of the patient’s survivors. We are seeking candidates with a exceptional communication skills that provides a nice mixture of attention to detail, a love of new challenges and follow through that assures stability in an ever changing work environment.
Essential Job Functions (including but not limited to):
1. Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the patient including a psycho social assessment to evaluate the patient/caregiver’s emotional, social, financial, and environmental resources and identify appropriate psycho social problems, interventions, and goals for the patient’s plan of care.
2. Participate as a member of the Iowa City Hospice Interdisciplinary Team in the development and implementation of the patient’s plan of care.
3. Reassess the patient/caregiver needs every 15 days and, with the Interdisciplinary Team, update the patient’s plan of care.
4. Provide direct social work services and interventions according to the patient’s plan of care, including identifying the patient/caregiver’s psycho social needs; enhancing strengths; assisting with advance directives; assessing coping; connecting with community resources; and documenting those assessment findings, interventions provided, and progress made towards goals.
5. Facilitate support groups and maintain documentation of bereavement services provided.
6. Coordinate the referral and admission process, initiating preliminary evaluation for hospice appropriateness, and coordinating hand off to admission team and primary team.
7. Identify, coordinate, and involve available volunteers for patient/family care; serve as liaison between direct patient care volunteers and IDT.
8. Demonstrates exceptional written and verbal communication standards to advance cooperative working relationships with Iowa City Hospice staff, management and care partners.
9. Document all care provided in the patient’s clinical record in accordance with Iowa City Hospice’s documentation requirements.
10. Serve as an educational source to staff, care partners, and the community.
11. Adhere to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff, and the organization.
12. Participate in Iowa City Hospice’s success by ensuring access to our exceptional care.
13. Support and promote Iowa City Hospice’s mission to lead in providing exceptional patient-centered end-of-life care and grief support to anyone affected by a terminal illness.
14. Participate in the organization’s quality assessment and performance improvement program.
15. Ensure effective use of resources.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Licensure: Current Iowa license as a Social Worker
Education: Master’s degree in Social Work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education is preferred or a baccalaureate degree in social work from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education; or a baccalaureate degree in psychology, sociology, or other field related to social work.
Experience: 1 year of social work experience in a health care setting as a LMSW or 5 years of social work experience as a LBSW in a health care setting with a minimum of 1 year hospice experience preferred.
Schedule: Varied, Monday 8AM through Friday 5PM.
Driving: Proof of license and current insurance coverage.