About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): Our mission is to secure a safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just, and resilient low-carbon economy. We are widely recognized as an influential voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with international climate negotiators; federal, state, and local policymakers; executives of Fortune 500 businesses; and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
Our organizational values: We are ambitious and practical, advancing effective solutions that push the boundaries of the achievable. We are open-minded and inclusive, seeking out and considering a wide range of voices, views, and approaches. We are people-focused, dedicated to improving human well-being and recognizing that respect and empathy are central to success. We are one team, working collaboratively, communicating openly, making ourselves accessible to each other, and treating one another with kindness and respect.
Position Summary: The Business Engagement Coordinator will provide programmatic and administrative support for a range of C2ES programming, mainly in C2ES’s Net Zero Pathways (NZP) Project, with a focus on business engagement and outreach. The coordinator will work closely with colleagues on a suite of programs within the NZP project, including: working groups focused on four critical-path technologies; regional roundtables, and policy advocacy campaigns. The Business Engagement Coordinator will serve a key role managing business outreach across these programs, particularly among C2ES’s Business Environmental Leadership Council. The successful candidate will work to engage member companies in C2ES programming and support the development of programming to drive company investment in, and advocacy for, clean technologies. This position reports to the Vice President of Business Engagement, working closely with the Policy and Outreach team.
- Provide administrative support, with regard to business engagement, for C2ES’s Net Zero Pathways Project, including coordinating and tracking the participation of companies (in and external to C2ES' Business Environmental Leadership Council (BELC)), across C2ES’s technology-focused working groups, policy campaigns, regional roundtable program, and other programs as needed.
- Collaborate across teams in the NZP Project to prioritize engagement among companies, first in technology-focused working groups, and then in policy campaigns, and regional roundtables;
- Assist with outreach to policymakers to support relevant C2ES programmatic work;
- Organize convenings and events as appropriate, including organizing and managing speakers;
- Conduct research to assist colleagues in policy and market analysis.
- Assist with the prospecting and recruitment of new BELC members by researching companies participating in the NZP Project and working with the VP for Business Engagement to recruit them into BELC membership;
- Assist in active engagement of existing BELC members by identifying opportunities to enhance value of technology working groups, policy campaigns, and regional roundtables for BELC members;
- Help support the development and execution of technology and policy-focused programming to advance companies’ support for critical path technologies, and broader policy initiatives.
- Provide administrative and programmatic support to the Vice President of Business Engagement, Vice President of Outreach and Policy, Director of U.S. Policy and Outreach, and other senior staff as needed.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion expectations
- Participate in monthly all-staff meetings led by the staff Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council (JEDI-C), which provide an opportunity to interact and learn about various DEI-related topics.
Demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Complete company training assigned during onboarding and on a yearly basis, including specialized training as relevant for management positions.
- Approximately 1-3 years of work experience related to sustainable business and/or stakeholder engagement with businesses and/or energy/climate.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental or energy studies, economics, political science, business and sustainability, technology/innovation, or related field.
- Broad familiarity with, and interest in, the nexus of business and investment in clean energy technologies.
- Strong project management skills
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Takes initiative and is self-directed
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, and enjoys working as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and be flexible, juggling multiple demands and prioritizing tasks, in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness pitch in at all levels
- Excellent relationship-management skills, including stakeholder outreach and engagement, and enjoys outward, customer-facing roles.
- Excellent skills in managing logistics and/or planning external-facing virtual and in-person events
- Strong analytical skills, including proficiency in compiling and analyzing publicly available data and deriving and presenting relevant insights.
- Full time. Benefits-eligible. Salary position, overtime exempt.
- Reporting to: VP, Corporate Engagement
Starting Salary Range: $53,000 - $63,000. Depending on experience and qualifications.
"Please submit a resume and cover letter. Candidates in the final stages of the interview process will be asked to undertake a timed writing assessment. We realize this requires an investment of your time and we appreciate your help in determining if we're a strong fit for one another."
Travel, Time & Location Requirements
C2ES operates a hybrid work environment from our main office in Arlington, Virginia (with a move expected to downtown Washington, D.C. by November 2024).
This position is based in C2ES’s office in Arlington, VA. Staff currently work in the office at least 3 days per week and work remotely approximately two days each week. Some travel may be required.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the dental premiums.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long-Term Disability and Short-Term Disability.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA).
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start accumulating 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Parental Leave
- Holidays: C2ES observes several holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of the year.
- 5% C2ES contribution towards 403b retirement Plan.
- Hybrid and flexible environment.
DEI Paragraph - We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES's DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice/