FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Gunsmith is responsible for diagnosing issues, servicing, and repairing customer and SAU (Sale as Used) firearms to ensure they function safely and within original design intent.
- Performs inspection, maintenance, repair, and test firing of firearms from a variety of sources.
- Ensures all work is completed thoroughly and professionally such that all firearms repaired and returned to customers are high quality and do not result in the need for a repeat return.
- Verifies customer complaint(s) and determines if firearms are covered under warranty, goodwill repair, or non-warranty repair.
- Complies with related procedures and work instructions regarding the documentation of serialized assemblies and/or components, including tracking the location and disposition throughout the process (receipt, in-process, return/de-mill).
- Documents and accurately records service(s) completed for each repair case in the service center computer system.
- Maintains accurate records of all parts used in repairs and records the inventory movement of all components used from service center stock.
- Prepares itemized quotes for repairs that are not covered by Warranty or Goodwill.
- Exercises reliable judgement with regards to the safety of firearms, and the ‘repairability’ of firearms. Escalates to management as required.
- Consults with engineering and quality functions as necessary and to report any unusual conditions observed during firearm inspection or repair.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area including all tools and equipment.
- Prepares case reports as requested.
- Learns and participates in cross-functional activities in the Service Center to part of a well-rounded team that can perform other job duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Gunsmithing certification from an accredited school or program equivalent to an Associate degree is required.
Three years of commercial and/or military experience as a gunsmith is required.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the inspection, diagnosis, and repair of firearms.
- Proficient writing, verbal, and math skills.
- Basic understanding of Material Resource Planning (MRP) in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software preferred.
- Experience with data analysis and extraction from Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work towards meeting multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Experience servicing a wide variety of firearms including handguns, shotguns, rifles, and select-fire/automatic weapons.
Microsoft Office, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software, and Service Center tracking software system.
Technical service and repair area within a manufacturing environment. Occasions may arise that the gunsmith be exposed to loud machinery. Must be able to regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds unassisted.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor