Doing retail better. This mantra has guided NewMark Merrill over the last 40 years: through changes, challenges, varied economic and industry disruption. We hold true to our core beliefs of connecting with communities, creating authentic environments of unsurpassed opportunity for merchants and sharing our passion for retail real estate with innovative team members.
With offices in Denver, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and Chicago, NewMark Merrill owns and manages more than 10 million square feet of retail assets comprised of over 2,000 tenants across 80 cities.
As a boutique-sized firm, we offer both the benefit of large portfolio economies of scale paired with agile decision-making capability and individualized attention from senior leadership.
By combining close relationships with communities, hands-on engagement with our merchants and shoppers, and industry leading investments in technology and data collection, we provide the insights that help ensure our tenants have the tools to succeed in our centers.
The combination of understanding the communities we serve, and world class technology allows us to maximize value and create exceptional experiences that convert visitors into loyal customers.
Our people are what make NewMark Merrill the successful and innovative company it has become. With an unwavering commitment to the success of our partners, the communities we serve and the development of our people, we have created an authentic and proactive culture that sets NewMark Merrill apart.
The Marketing Director oversees a portfolio of properties, leading, planning and executing innovative strategic marketing programs that drive foot traffic and improve top-of-mind awareness for the center. The focus is on maximizing tenant sales performance by understanding customer motivation and driving community engagement. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Develop and execute an annual marketing plan and budget which strategically utilizes social media platforms, website and retailer programs to support the corporate, owner and retailer’s marketing objectives
- Implement corporate direction regarding marketing at the field level
- Coordinate all shopping center visual merchandising, signage and advertising programs to ensure quality and effective use
- Manage where applicable all marketing work surrounding center renovations, redevelopment and expansions to ensure effective messaging to the shopper base
- Provide input as required on media plans, media buys and media channels for the most effective reach of the target audience
- Work with the public relations agency to enhance the overall perception of property, establish and ensure local media relations are solid, and responses for media releases, alerts and talking points are adequately prepared, vetted and used
- Drive the growth and engagement of our social media channels , as well as data collection, SMS, and Email (subscribers) for the specific centers
- Establish strong tenant communications and partnerships. Seek and encourage retailer participation in marketing programs, utilizing marketing assets, in an effort to promote their businesses and add value to the overall marketing efforts
- Provide expert insight using the latest technology to track traffic patterns and analyze the lift from marketing events. Apply results to on-going strategic planning and marketing events with the goal of helping to maximize merchant sales performance
- Develop key relationships with city and community leaders
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in shopping center marketing management
- Prefer previous experience in PR to include writing press releases, managing campaigns and securing media coverage
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, problem solving and organizational leadership skills
- Utilize strong project management skills to lead initiatives, portfolio-level promotions and events
- Flexibility to work evenings or weekends to execute special events
- Flexibility to travel, currently throughout California and/or Illinois as portfolio dictates
- Excellent oral, written, organizational, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to present marketing information to large groups including executives.
- Excellent working knowledge of social media programs and web-based platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, desktop publishing and mobile technology solutions
- Prefer basic/intermediate graphic design skills using Adobe programs to create digital and printed graphics, flyers, posters, ads, etc.
- Experience with utilizing technology including traffic platforms, such as Placer or other camera tech, consumer sentiment tracking such as Merchant Centric and other platforms as they become available. Be an early adopter of technology to enhance the success of marketing and operational endeavors.