Hospitality Bootcamp Intern
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Campus Community Coordinator
Indirect Report to: Respective Department Manager for shift
The mission of Sandy Cove Ministries is to help people connect with God and each other in order to be transformed into the image of Christ, through His Word, His creation and community.
-The Hospitality Bootcamp Intern Program-
Fall & Spring Semesters Available.
- Fall (September-December)
- Spring (January-May)
As a part of the program, interns work approximately 25-30 hours/week in a variety of departments across the ministry. Opportunities exist to simultaneously complete college credits or certifications with our partnering Universities. Benefits include on-campus housing, meals (when available for guests). Cost for housing & meals = $250/month. Interns also have access to the beautiful 220-acre grounds at the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay and attending Sandy Cove program speaker sessions. Growth Opportunities include bible studies and community with Sandy Cove employees along with opportunities to build relationships with ministry leaders.
Position Summary: Learn about the various responsibilities of hospitality in an established ministry by adapting to changing guest/ministry needs and serving in various positions across Sandy Cove Ministries departments and positions (ex: Activities, Event Tech, Food Service, Front Desk Attendant, Housekeeper and Lifeguard).
Position Purpose: Provide an enjoyable and safe experience for Sandy Cove guests so that they can connect with God and each other by providing services in a variety of roles where most needed while experiencing personal growth through the Hospitality Bootcamp Internship.
- Personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Certification to belay or ability to be successfully trained
- Current lifeguard certification by a recognized certifying agency (i.e. American RedCross, YMCA, etc.) or ability to be trained
- Current First Aid certification by a recognized certifying agency (i.e. American RedCross, YMCA, etc.) or ability to be trained
- Current CPR certification by a recognized certifying agency (i.e. American Red Cross,YMCA, etc.) or ability to be trained
- Able to take direction, accept task assignments and work through to completion with timeliness and accuracy
- Responsible, adaptable and flexible in dealing with last minute changes
- Willingness to work weekdays, holidays and evenings and weekends as necessary
- Physically fit
- High School Diploma
- TeachableEssential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Develop friendly and courteous rapport with all guests
- Perform all reasonable work requests from either direct manager or assigned department
- Facilitate/belay for activities such as the rock wall, zip line, and big swing, maintaining safety for all throughout. Safely and properly set up/ take down these activities.
- Teach, encourage and assist guests involved in activities
- Facilitate and oversee various activities and tournaments (i.e. ping-pong, volleyball, soccer, archery, basketball, softball, etc.) as needed by preparing equipment, organizing teams, keeping score/refereeing and recording results for prizes.
- Maintain the activity sites and equipment for the guests use (mini golf, shuffleboard, etc)
- Awareness of and adherence to all safety guidelines and practices
- Properly document and record information as trained (e.g. waivers and accident reports).
- Set up conference rooms by accurately preparing room with all requested furnishings and equipment, (i.e. chairs, tables, staging, podium and more)
- Provide custodial maintenance of conference rooms by thoroughly cleaning, vacuuming and refreshing each meeting room between uses.
- Perform conference room tidies by periodically cleaning and straightening of each conference room throughout its daily use
- Set up and break down common areas as needed for snack breaks, vendor displays, and other special uses
- Empty trash in common areas
- Monitor the condition of and immediately report any damages of Sandy Cove property to the Event Ministries Supervisor or Event Ministries Manager.
- Monitor and service water coolers to maintain ample supply of water for the number of guest in house
- Securing the premises as directed each evening and unlocking the premises as needed in the morning
- Work closely with Guest Services, Front Desk, Housekeeping and Food Service to insure seamless coverage of services for our guests
- Report to Supervisor for table assignments and other pertinent updates
- Perform Kitchen Rounds responsibilities
- Prepare for meal by placing drink pitchers on tables; prepare coffee and hot water and clean beverage station, prepare bussing stations
- Warmly welcome guests into Dining Room by showing available tables, explaining available food and drink items
- During meal offer assistance to guests, refill drinks, clear dirty plates and glasses to bus stations, and help keep buffet lines stocked with adequate amounts of food
- After meal, clear tables and take dirty plates, glasses and silverware to dish room
- Wipe down tables & chairs, vacuum under tables & closest bus station and reset table for the next meal
- Restock/refill table sugars, salt & pepper
- Perform Buffet Line Responsibilities: Prepare buffet lines by setting up & heating chafing pans, gathering serving utensils, stocking adequate plates and/or bowls and placing all food and condiments are on-line and ready to serve.
- During meal keep buffet lines stocked with adequate amounts of food, plates and condiments
- Help assist guests and help clear dining room tables as needed
- Clean up after guest meal by removing chafing pans and taking leftover food to cooks and dirty pans/utensils to the dishwashers
- Change table linens on buffet and salad bar lines as needed
- Take out trash, and vacuum buffet areas
Front Desk Attendant
- Courteously and professionally answers multi-line phone system and direct to appropriate person or department
- Promptly assist guests with reservations as necessary by entering necessary data into computer software
- Use Sandy Cove general knowledge to answer questions/concerns and problem solve as necessary (ex: rates, availability, upcoming events, directions)
- Welcome and provide efficient guest check-in and check-out
- Professionally clean guest rooms, using proper sanitary procedures, by changing bed linens, scrubbing bathroom, restocking amenities, polishing furniture, restocking all amenities (brochures, towels, trash bags, cups, soaps, etc.) checking for lost items under beds and behind furniture, and vacuum room and hallway.
- Check for any maintenance issues and correctly report
- Assist with laundry as needed by sorting, washing, drying and folding all linens used for guest rooms
- Assist with lobby duties as needed
- Ensure safety of each guest at Sandy Cove Ministries’ pools
- Guard the pool as scheduled and instructed by the Aquatics Manager and/or Assistant Aquatics Manager
- Enforce all pool rules and regulations without bias
- Respond to issues and emergencies as trained, and document actions as required
- Perform daily cleaning as scheduled and instructed by the Aquatics Manager and/ or Assistant Aquatics Manager such as cleaning bathrooms and pool and pool deck
- Become familiar with and adhere to all health and safety guidelines
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Ability to perform under stress and emergency situations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent judgment and decision-making abilities