The Field Service Engineer’s (FSE) primary responsibility will be to provide remote and onsite operations to: install, configure, test and troubleshoot our client’s IT infrastructure. This is a client focused position concentrated on resolving incidents and service requests from external clients and driving continuous service improvement initiatives. The FSE will measure, monitor and work to drive down Level 2 incident levels at the Service Desk relating to the product and infrastructure support provided. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting and actively resolving and/or escalating incidents when considered appropriate and necessary to maintain service level agreement expectations. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic, remote monitoring, documentation and help request tracking tools. The FSE will work closely with cross-organizational teams toward the ongoing technical support of our clients.
- Oversee, monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests escalated through the IT Service Desk.
- Ensure that the service desk actively participates in improving the usability and reliability of the solutions provided.
- Monitor Service Desk for tickets assigned to the Engineering queue and process first-in first-out based on SLA.
- Work to improve the quality of the support provided from the Engineering Team through implementation of appropriate metrics and procedures.
- Manage critical customer incidents and act as a point of escalation for the team. Ensure major incident and change communications are distributed appropriately.
- Work with the VP of Service Delivery to ensure that practices and processes exist and when possible standardize so they are repeatable and clear.
- Identify and implement improvements to the Service Desk telephony and incident management tools in order to provide a more effective and efficient service to customers.
- Meet goals and KPI’s set by the VP of Service Delivery.
- Participate in daily huddles with the Service Desk Team
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly performance reports and dashboard KPI’s to the VP of Service Delivery.
- Exhibit professional appearance and conduct in accordance with XPERTECHS’ standards while working with end-users and vendors.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and help contribute to the resolutions library.
- Analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems and alert management to emerging trends in incidents.
- Provide a consistent level of professional and considerate support to our clients in an effort to develop and maintain relationships of trust and open communication.
- Assist in PC setup and deployment for new employees using standard hardware, images and software.
- Monitor progress on Service Desk dashboard toward company milestones, and ongoing task completion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
XPERTECHS has an interactive, fast-paced work environment. Responsibilities may occasionally require an adjusted work schedule and/or evening/weekend hours in order to satisfy customer needs and position requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: This position requires a minimum of an Associate’s Degree (with a Bachelor’s degree preferred); at least 5 years’ recent Service Desk support experience to the small or mid-sized business market; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Must be able to effectively communicate in specific terms about technologies used by our clients, including Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, HP Servers, Router/Switches, Firewall Appliances, VoIP and IP environment, and CAT5e/CAT6 Infrastructures
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Field Service Engineer must have a strong aptitude in OS repairs, Malware/Spyware and Virus removal, Hardware, Software, upgrades and troubleshooting provided within a Managed Services environment. Must also have the ability to read computer instruction manuals, utilize Google Search and comprehend directions therein in order to remedy minor computer equipment malfunctions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with and present information to others and access information using a computer for several hours at a time. Employees must have mobility throughout the office and may occasionally drive or ride up to 30 miles to other service locations. Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds may be required.
- Emotional Demands: The employee must be emotionally mature and be able to handle difficult and complex client and work-related situations. Candidates must possess strong problem solving, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills. They must be self-driven and possess a positive mental attitude in addition to a sense of ownership and personal integrity. Attention to detail and accuracy is paramount.
- Client/Relationship Management: The Field Service Engineer establishes and builds relationships with clients. Applies knowledge to the business and provides personalized, value-added service. Demonstrates willingness to meet or exceed needs of clients by pursuing improved courses of action; delivers products and services that best serve client needs; uses client feedback as a basis for improving service and performs necessary follow-up work without being prompted.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: The Field Service Engineer creates commitment to common goals; identifies competing interests and finds ways to balance them; values contributions of all team members and other constituencies; values team accomplishments over individual accomplishments; leverages others’ strengths and experiences to achieve team goals; co-operates with colleagues and shares resources. Act as a role model for the Service Desk and mentor team members to continually improve their skills and abilities.
- Intellectual Demands: Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, as well as effective organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills. Candidates must be able to read, analyze, and interpret general industry periodicals, technical procedures and governmental regulations. They must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. They must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, vendors, employees, and the general public.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities to perform this job successfully; the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment is on an “at-will” basis.
Employee must be able to relate to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions: (a) can get along with other co-workers or peers without exhibiting behavioral extremes; (b) perform work activities requiring negotiating, instructing, supervising, persuading or speaking to others; and (c) respond appropriately to constructive criticism from a supervisor.