Whisker is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 500+ passionate team members.
What You’ll Do:
The Manufacturing Engineering Manager leads the Whisker team of Manufacturing Engineers, Engineering Technicians, Maintenance Technicians, and others to design, launch, refine, and maintain current and upcoming assembly lines, processes, and facilities. The Manufacturing Engineering Manager will work with cross-functional teams to ensure that solutions are developed, projects are completed, and issues are resolved, all focusing on effectiveness and efficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Establishes and drives to fulfill a vision for the facility Manufacturing Engineering Department and related methodologies, with input from management and others
- Oversees, evaluates, and assists in the design of manufacturing and distribution processes, assembly lines, assembly fixtures, etc., from start to finish utilizing modeling and other analytical tools to evaluate design options
- Implements and manages all EHS programs, conducting risk assessments, and driving continuous improvement and promoting a culture of safety
- Develops and administers project plans, including capital projects, ensuring that costs and deliverables are within budget
- Drives continual process improvement activities with 5S, lean principles, and other engineering tools to eliminate waste and improve efficiency
- Assures all documentation regarding internal procedures for product fabrication is available, current, and accurate
- Assures time standards are established and maintained for all significant direct and indirect labor operations
- Provides technical support to manufacturing to resolve internal and external process issues
- Excellent communication, leadership, team building, employee involvement, diplomacy, delegating skills, confidence and enthusiasm
- Mentors others in manufacturing engineering competencies, processes, and lean concepts
- Develop and maintain relationships with 3rd party contracted resources
- Provides facility maintenance, including plumbing, electrical, painting, custodial, and general facility upkeep
- Assist and oversee maintenance of the plant equipment, buildings, and other assets to protect these assets and reduce equipment related downtime
- Will perform additional responsibilities when required
Directly supervises department teams. Carries out supervisory responsibilities following Whisker policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, training, and hiring, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, addressing team issues, and upholding safety and quality guidelines.
What You’ll Bring:
- BA in a scientific discipline, Engineering highly preferred
- 10+ years of Manufacturing Engineering experience in a high-volume production environment, preferably within consumer electronic or electrical appliance industries
- 3+ years of Manufacturing Engineering management experience
- Experience working on issues of diverse scope, where analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of a variety of factors, including an understanding of current business trends
- Ability to effectively lead and manage people, including setting expectations, assessing performance, providing feedback, delegating tasks, having difficult conversations, and engaging and developing employees
- Experience successfully deploying capital improvements, such as automation from conceptualization to implementation
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere in a fast-paced environment with numerous interactions and interruptions
- A high degree of initiative, self-motivation, and ability to motivate others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Experience with Injection molded plastics
- Experience with electronic components (i.e.; motors, wire harnesses, printed circuit boards)
- Experience with Google Suite
- CAD experience
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here represent those that a Team Member must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The Team Member is frequently required to use their hands to handle or feel. The Team Member is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The Team Member must lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that a Team Member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Pet Insurance
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.
Please ensure to regularly check your email spam folder for any communication from Whisker to avoid missing important updates regarding your application status.