The Volunteer Services Project Coordinator (Seasonal) assists in the planning, coordination, and execution of inclusive outdoor stewardship programs for broad public audiences. They supervise volunteers in various outdoor activities at Prospect Park, including litter removal, maintenance projects, horticulture and natural areas management, and other stewardship related activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Collaborate with volunteer program managers, landscape management staff, development staff, and maintenance and operations staff to plan, prepare, and supervise volunteer activities
- Serve as team lead, carry out fieldwork and train volunteers to safely assist with outdoor restoration, beautification, and cleanups in all types of weather
- Liaison with community groups and corporate partners to schedule and book volunteer events
- Perform office work including, copying, filing, and data input. Use Word, Excel, and database software to create reports, events descriptions, correspondences, and other daily office needs.
- Assist in daily tool room and vehicle upkeep, including vehicle & inventory tracking, tool care, glove laundry, fueling vehicles, and other outdoor and indoor tasks.
- Assist program managers and volunteer services coordinator on various outreach initiatives, including drafting recruitment emails, tracking outreach metrics, and other various tasks.
- Assist Volunteer Corps staff with various planning initiatives
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent, Bachelor's degree preferred
- A minimum of six (6) months of coordination experience in community programs and a minimum of six (6) months experience doing outdoor manual labor preferred
- A valid NYS Driver’s License and willingness to drive a variety of Parks vehicles
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and stewardship combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Fieldwork Naturalist Knowledge: A basic understanding of the demands of performing manual labor outdoors within an urban setting. Knowledge of and respect for the work of the original Park designers Olmsted and Vaux. An understanding of historic design, environmental design and horticulture, complex urban landscape and the significance of successful landscape design within an urban setting. Ability to generate interest in the environment and natural world by highlighting historical, ecological or scientific features of outdoor surroundings.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility, G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Public Speaking: Must have excellent verbal communication skills and ability to impart key information to your audience. Should be able to engage with an audience and interact with members of the public.
- Communication Skills: Ability to convey concepts and make presentations in a clear, culturally competent and understandable manner. Demonstrates effective listening skills and openness to other people’s ideas and suggestions
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent and responsive service to internal and external stakeholders, including patrons and visitors.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Relationship Building: A natural relationship builder, highly interpersonal with the capacity to work, think strategically and build constructive and positive working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation and mutual respect.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed both in the field, which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions and in an office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual elements and in the field, which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions
- Requires operating a motor vehicle; operating equipment where carelessness could result in injury; standing for extended periods of time; stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, pushing, pulling, and/or crawling; use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills and use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires moderate physical exertion - lifting, pushing, and carrying, etc. up to 30 lbs for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
- Ability to work weekends and holidays are required.
- COMPENSATION + BENEFITS
- Job Grade: 7 (Field + Operations Support)
- Salary/Salary Range: $20
- Work Hours: 40 hours per week, minimum
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
*Pay offered is based on a number of factors including job-related knowledge, skills and experience
- The Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Supplemental Options: AFLAC, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care FSA + Commuter Benefits, Pet Insurance
- 403b Contributions + 2% Employer Contributions
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.