The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption (DTFA) is a national, nonprofit public charity dedicated to finding permanent homes for the more than 140,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder, Dave Thomas, who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking. The Foundation has an opening for a full-time manager of partnership and event communications.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
With support from the senior manager of partnership communications, the manager of partnership and event communications will help implement an integrated communications strategy to engage businesses as external partners in raising awareness of and financial support for the Foundation. The manager of partnership and event communications will be a strong writer who develops clear and compelling content to be shared across various channels.
1. Support the creation of materials that help external partners educate their clients/customers and networks to expand the reach of the Foundation’s mission, including:
- Articles and stories that educate about the urgent need for foster care adoption to feature in their internal and external communications channels, including emails, publications, presentations, etc.
- Messaging that supports fundraising campaigns and other ways to get involved (e.g., estate planning and workplace giving), including emails, social media posts and web (e.g., lightboxes, donation pages and interstitial pages)
- Talking points, stories and images for earned and paid media efforts led by external partners
- Stewardship communications materials, sharing appreciation and evidence of the partnership’s impact (e.g., annual reports, campaign/impact reports, supporter spotlight blogs and videos, text campaigns and other special projects)
2. Develop content that supports external partners’ marketing of in-person and virtual fundraising events benefiting the Foundation, including emails, social media copy, event signage, messaging, scripts and giveaway items
3. Collaborate with graphic design and the partnerships and events teams to manage audience segmentation and inform the distribution of fundraising and stewardship emails
4. Develop action-oriented reports for partners’ campaigns (mining data from Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Luminate and other platforms) to guide future implementation; track progress in Asana to inform internal teams and external partners
5. Write, edit and proofread communications materials in alignment with the Foundation’s brand standards and AP style
6. Assume responsibility for professional growth, keeping current with cause marketing partnership, fundraising, stewardship and event communications trends. Perform other duties, as requested
7. Support other marketing and development communications efforts, as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of effective partnership and event communications strategies, leveraging print, email, video, earned media, web and social media to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Superior oral and written communication and editing skills; knowledge and use of AP style
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage multiple projects; proficient use of project management systems that aid internal communications and planning
- Ability and willingness to learn new systems quickly
- Values diversity and supports an inclusive culture through the ability to successfully communicate with and influence a diverse group of audiences
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field
- 5+ years of experience in marketing and communications, including event marketing
- Experience in a consulting agency or national nonprofit organization is a plus
- Limited travel required
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, color, religion, religious beliefs, political affiliation, creed, HIV/AIDS status, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, familial status, veteran/military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, prior arrest or any other category protected by applicable law. Any employee who engages in such conduct is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.